Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

PCV Opinion

I've had my LT1 for a few months now and it seems to be running very well, I've just been trying to figure out all the things the previous owner had modded / deleted since the list of changes he gave me appears to be somewhat incomplete.

Anyways, the previous owner removed the PCV line on from the passenger side valve cover, installed a breather and capped the inlet on the throttle body.

I've been reading a bit and the consensus appears that a functioning PCV system is better than the breather.. ?

I've also read that if an air foil is installed in the throttle body it will block the flow for the pcv system. My car DOES have an airfoil..

Driver side pcv system appears to unmodified.. (although I'm not 100% sure of what should be there)

So I'm looking for opinions here, what would you do? Retrofit the PCV system back to stock? Leave it be? Modify the driver side? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
'96 Camaro, '94 LT1, cai, ported maf, hotcam kit, 1.6 roller rockers, shorty headers, tune, A4 w/ 2700 Stall, 3.42 Gears, cat/egr/air/evap delete, borla resonator, hooker muffler, ls1 front brakes, strut tower brace, 1LE front swaybar, BMR lowering springs, adj panhard, tubular control arms, bilstein shocks
jshow816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to 97WS6SCharged
Re: PCV Opinion

As you describe it your PCV system is still functioning but it's allowing unmetered air into the engine through the filter on the valve cover.

The air foil should not block air from the system. It might hinder it a bit but it won't completely stop it.

I'd get rid of the filter on the valve cover and reconnect the supply line from the throttle body.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: PCV Opinion

Agree - keep the PVC system in the factory configuration - works fine. Some people delete the clean air supply line from the throttle body to the valve cover because they have oil blowing out of the valve cover, into the line, and into the throttle body. That is often the result of a plugged PCV valve, broken vacuum line to the PCV valve, or excessive piston ring blowby.

If you feel the the air foil is blocking the air flow, you have two choices - drill a small hole in the upper part of the air foil to allow increased air flow, or simply delete the air foil. It's not doing much:

Drivetrain Modifications #4

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Reply Post New Thread