LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Overheating, water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Question Overheating, water pump?

Hello all!

I have a 95 LT1 that is overheating and need help troubleshooting. I have changed the thermostat and flushed the system. Took her out for a run to try to overheat her again. When i am crusing over 50 I have no problems. After I start slowing down the temp climbs. The weird thing is if I stop the car put her in park and start revving the engine the temp starts dropping (cooling down) immediately.

Is that a symptom the water pump is going? Im not getting any leakage or weird sound from the pump.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Re: Overheating, water pump?

Did you bleed the system of all air! There should be 2 bleeders to purge the sys. Air becomes locked in the sys and full circulation cannot be achieved.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:43 AM

My 95 overheated a lot I just took the thermostat out and now it never get above the 1/4 mark.-190 degrees prob
Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by babydrilll
Hello all!

I have a 95 LT1 that is overheating and need help troubleshooting. I have changed the thermostat and flushed the system. Took her out for a run to try to overheat her again. When i am crusing over 50 I have no problems. After I start slowing down the temp climbs. The weird thing is if I stop the car put her in park and start revving the engine the temp starts dropping (cooling down) immediately.

Is that a symptom the water pump is going? Im not getting any leakage or weird sound from the pump.

Thanks in advance.
Are you running the correct LT1 thermostat?

http://shbox.com/1/tstat.jpg

Shoebox has a guide to the cooling system, including the bleeding procedure:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

What NUMERICAL temperature dues the gauge get to, when you feel it is overheating?

What NUMERICAL temperature is it at above 50 MPH, when you feel it is no problem?

Have you checked the front of the radiator/AC condensor for leaves, plastic bag, etc?

Do you still have the plastic air dam in place under the front bumper? That's what pushes the air up into the radiator. Since you feel there is no problem above 50 MPH, it's probably in place though.

Do a professional job of troubleshooting the problem. Deleting the t'stat can cause the engine to run too cool, preventing the oil from achieving the temperature required to drive off the harmful condensates that can form acids and damage the bearings ..... always a bad idea.