LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

OBD2 plug in emissions test, and a 396.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 12:51 AM

OBD2 plug in emissions test, and a 396.....

OK guys, I have to get my 97 SS inspected very soon as it is 2 months overdue. I currently have an OBD1 PCM with a PCMFORLESS tune and it runs great, but in order to pass the test for inspection I need to have my OBD2 PCM in. Getting it sent out to have a tune put into it is not a problem, its who can do it and has had experience with programming an OBD2 PCM to pass this test. Im not really sure what exactly the scan will check for, but I do have O2 simms in and all of my emissions equipment intact, air pump, air injection, EGR ect.. The motor is an 11:1 396, AFR 210's comp port, custom grind Comp Cam 242/252 .575/.575. Anyone have any luck or experience with this?

Nick
Old 09-17-2004, 02:19 AM

Re: OBD2 plug in emissions test, and a 396.....

GOOD LUCK! Thats a huge cam and it's doubtfull it will pass at all. Your only hope would be to have it dyno tunned paying special attention to the part throttle parts of the maps.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
GOOD LUCK! Thats a huge cam and it's doubtfull it will pass at all. Your only hope would be to have it dyno tunned paying special attention to the part throttle parts of the maps.
It's not a dyno test.

Just have the AIR/EGR edited out of the computer (save some possible stress). You should pass fine with O2 sims. I am curious though, why you have EGR intake. With a cam that large, I'm assuming the LS is 114 or lower, and if that's the case, EGR is redundant anyway.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:14 AM

You just need to shut down all trouble codes in PCM, with all the readiness triggers up (if I am correct, more then 2 "unready" tests will fail you)
Old 09-17-2004, 02:16 PM

from what i hear as long as you dont have any check engine light you should be ok,that doesnt mean you can reset pcm and it will pass,their must be a certain amount of time or miles before the test will pick up recent ses lights.my brother in law works at a shop that just started with this
Old 09-17-2004, 06:35 PM

Be careful, with the OBDII there are a number of tests that have to run for the system to report an OK status. You can't just edit out AIR/EGR as this will prevent certain tests from completing and could result in a failed smog check. At least that is the way it is here in California. As valter says, if you fail more than 2 internal PCM tests you will not pass smog.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:57 PM

Hey Guys, thanks for the advice, I will be getting an OBD2 program from Bryan sometime in the next week or two, and I will let you know how it goes. Hey Spinner, I know that the EGR is redundant at this point with the car, but I want to have it hooked up to pass any visual checks, either at inspection time or just in case I happen to get stopped at a DMV spot check. I will post results when I get tested, thanks.

Nick
Old 09-20-2004, 11:04 PM

just an FYI... my friend with a 97 OBD2 is going through hell right now trying to get it inspected. he had EGR and AIR programmed out... but there's something that all obd2 cars need to go through, called a drive cycle. if the car has just had its codes cleared or similarly, the egr and related systems show up as "not ready". if any of you are familiar with the drive cycle i'm sure you can understand what a damned JOKE it is to go through... best of luck. if you wanna talk to him to find out what he's doing and perhaps give you some insight or just discuss viable options (he's still failed...) just PM me. thanks

-J
Old 09-21-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jbsupra89t
just an FYI... my friend with a 97 OBD2 is going through hell right now trying to get it inspected. he had EGR and AIR programmed out... but there's something that all obd2 cars need to go through, called a drive cycle. if the car has just had its codes cleared or similarly, the egr and related systems show up as "not ready". if any of you are familiar with the drive cycle i'm sure you can understand what a damned JOKE it is to go through... best of luck. if you wanna talk to him to find out what he's doing and perhaps give you some insight or just discuss viable options (he's still failed...) just PM me. thanks

-J
It depends on which codes are cleared. I cleared codes for the rear O2 sensors, and those tests were the only ones that had to be run. The other tests, egr, air, evap didn't have to be run. They remained as ready.