LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New to the Forum and in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Re: New to the Forum and in need of help

i would assume you meant another log, i can do that. I get off work in 2 hours, i will make sure the iac is unplugged and will post the scan up later this evening. anything specific you want me to do, leave it in park, or switch to another gear at some point.....
Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Same way you did the first log. Just start it up and let it idle, in neutral is fine. Don't touch the throttle.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Question from MSD -

"Do you know if this guy replaced all the sparkplug wires? Sparkplugs? I know he had trouble with the one wire. What brand of (plug) wire(s?)"

I asked previously, was there any chance you had a plug wire or other high voltage wire running close to, or in parallel with the Opti wiring? Just thinking out loud... do you have over the valve cover plug wire routing?

I'd like to give MSD as much info as possible. This is a good opportunity to deal directly with them, to see if we can identify any problems that might exist with the unit, and the possible causes.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Do you plan to follow up on this? I have the complete attention of MSD regarding the problem, and its sort of embarrassing to not be able to respond to their engineering department's questions.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 AM

my apologies Injuneer, I have been massively busy over the course of the past weeks. When I unplugged the IAC there was no change in the read out. So i warrantied out the chinese brand distributor that was originally in the car before I put the MSD distributor in. I installed the replacement this week, and it returned the car back to normal state. The car runs perfectly now. Responds to WOT with no hesitation. I have yet to put the scanner on it to see if the fuel issue between bank 1 and 2 was resolved or if that still requires attention.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:36 AM

to answer the other questions of MSD, the car has Duralast Wires, I want to upgrade them to MSD brand if I can get a distributor that will work. Both the wires and plugs are about 15,000 miles old
I havent routed them over the valve covers yet, they are still ran the stock way.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Thanks. Seems conclusive to me that the MSD was causing the problems.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:28 AM

one question i have, could that be just a fluke with the distributor, or was it that being a performance distributor just the car couldnt handle it stock?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEDEMON95
one question i have, could that be just a fluke with the distributor, or was it that being a performance distributor just the car couldnt handle it stock?
The MSD Opti will work on stock or modified motor. There is no difference in terms of the Opti function

sadly though MSD opti for me was bad out of box causing a high rpm miss. My original AC Delco opti I put back in and that was several years ago. No problems. I do use the MSD cap & rotor though.

I applaud MSD for trying to make a better "mouse trap"....unfortunately for you, me and many others that did not work out. Certainly others have no issues with them.....as some have no issues with Chinese clones. But a common factor with both is more reports of "problems" vs a AC Delco opti. YMMV
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLUEDEMON95
..... So i warrantied out the chinese brand distributor that was originally in the car before I put the MSD distributor in. I installed the replacement this week, and it returned the car back to normal state. The car runs perfectly now.......
What did you do with the MSD Opti? They asked if you would return it for them to examine. I really think we have their attention. If there is any question of shipping cost, I could ask them if they could provide a pre-paid return label. And, if they fix it for you, you could sell it when you get it back.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 PM

I'm in process of returning it to jegs, the vendor I bought it from, unless MSD wants it directly?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Administrator

I will follow up with MSD. Please hold onto it until I get a response from them.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Administrator

They really want to receive your MSD. They have an offer that is pretty good - win-win for all parties. I'm sending you a PM with the contact info at MSD. Please call them.

Thank you,
Fred
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Administrator

I understand you reached a deal with MSD to return the Opti for replacement. They tell me they sent you a return tag. Did you receive the tag? There may have been a mixup with your email address. If necessary, I can go into your profile and retrieve your email address. But I would rather you work directly with MSD.

I really want to get the unit back to MSD. I've made a major effort to get them a defective unit, along with a data log. We're almost there.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Administrator

As I understand it, and based on our emails, MSD sent you a rebuilt unit. They tell me now that they traced the problem to a faulty sensor. Did you ever install the MSD rebuilt unit? If so, what were the results?