LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New car/ blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM

New car/ blown engine

So I went out and bought a car.

1996 Camaro SS Convertible 6 speed 83k miles
1 owner, 100% stock, unmodified.

I was told it wouldn't start. figured it could be something small, but hopefully nothing major. once on the trailer I was able to get under it and look, and it looks like something in the oil pan wanted out, and did get out in a few small spots. and with all the spray back on the back of the car id say its safe to say its a goner, haven't taken anything apart yet.

So with the limited number of these cars being built, I don't think I want to go anything other than stock rebuild.

or should I say screw it and make it a little nasty? or even worse, LSX?

I don't want to spend more than I need to, I already have 2 LSx cars, and this is just a long turn flip. want the most profit out of it when the time comes.

recommendations on stock rebuild parts? Can I keep it a 350 or am I looking at boring it out if it took damage? should I replace the block to keep it stock?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 PM

Re: New car/ blown engine

It is very likely it will have to be bored, at the least, as you don't know what other damage may have been done.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM

the least expense would be to get a long block and transfer from one to the other the bolt on parts
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 AM

Herb built mine out of texas, He has a ridiculous amount of knowledge, i sent him my old lunati custom cam/and had him put on lt4 patriot performance heads, i told him my plans and he went with a different setup then what he has listed, That was 2 years ago and i have sprayed 250 on it more times then i can count without a hiccup. if its a quick flip just go with his basic build.

1992 Camaro Vette Impala SS "LT1" 383 Stroker Long Block | eBay
Old 04-02-2015, 11:05 AM

OP

sounds like it threw a rod or something if there is a hole in oil pan. You really won't know the extent of damage until you tear motor apart. It may not be salvageable at all.

cheapest way would be to buy a junkyard motor (could be a crap roll though) and flip the car.

otherwise a new motor from a reputable builder either from your motor or a donor motor

you can buy a short or long block from Golen Engines for example or find a local builder. Karl at ERE is highly regarded. Both he and Golen are east coast builders though. You won't need to send your block to either, they will get one.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
OP

sounds like it threw a rod or something if there is a hole in oil pan. You really won't know the extent of damage until you tear motor apart. It may not be salvageable at all.

cheapest way would be to buy a junkyard motor (could be a crap roll though) and flip the car.

otherwise a new motor from a reputable builder either from your motor or a donor motor

you can buy a short or long block from Golen Engines for example or find a local builder. Karl at ERE is highly regarded. Both he and Golen are east coast builders though. You won't need to send your block to either, they will get one.

you couldn't pay me to buy a Golen engine my buddy bought the one for boost, and he cracked a piston twice/ and the rings were dead twice.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by dark-evader; 04-02-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dark-evader
you couldn't pay me to buy a Golen engine my buddy bought the one for boost, and he cracked a piston twice/ and the rings were dead twice.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
I don't know if "your buddy" cracked pistons and ring problem had anything to do with Golen or the tune and way the motor was run but FWIW my shortblock 383 I got from Golen is 9 years old now with 30k mi, no problems.

Op has several choices on where to get a new motor. "My" experience with a Golen forged short block was good though
Old 04-03-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
I don't know if "your buddy" cracked pistons and ring problem had anything to do with Golen or the tune and way the motor was run but FWIW my shortblock 383 I got from Golen is 9 years old now with 30k mi, no problems.

Op has several choices on where to get a new motor. "My" experience with a Golen forged short block was good though
He got it tuned by the world renowned Jim Smith GM Engineer, is yours boosted?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM

Ring failure and pistons getting cracked on a boosted engine sounds like the piston rings wernt gapped correctly

Last edited by grabbem88; 04-03-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dark-evader
, is yours boosted?
no. just a NA build.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Before we get sidetracked discussing the quality of Golen's engines, I'd like to find out what broke and what damage it did.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:17 AM

OP I would say it depends on your budget and plans/purpose for the car, since it's a real SS vert (which is rare) I wouldn't put an LSx in it. Since you have to rebuild it anyway I'd go all out and build an all forged 383 with ported stock heads/intake and matching cam, LT headers and all the normal boltons.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 PM

its been a while since I posted this. But wanted to update those who were curious. I ended up putting another LT1 in it, which ended up being bad. So I pulled a LT4 from a 1996 corvette, and put that in my camaro. Some manual tuning with an obd1 ecm. Shes much happier now.

The stock engine had blown up 3 of the rods and the engine was toast. Lol. Figured LT4 was a good choice as they are extremely rare.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:42 PM

Hehe, has been a while. Glad to see it's in good shape.