LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My 10 Amp PCM IGN fuse keeps shorting???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM

Re: My 10 Amp PCM IGN fuse keeps shorting???

hi there

I am a authorized Cornwell Tools dealer, and sell a tool that plugs into the fuse slot (micro fuse type) has a resettable circuit breaker, and allow you to troubleshoot the problem without having to constantly replace fuses. There are two types, one plugs into a existing dvm (digital volt meter) and the other type has a dvm built into it. They
start at $15.00 and go to $25.00. If you are interested, let me know. Not trying to advertise here, just trying to help you resolve this issue.

thanks

andy schuck
Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by andysc
hi there

I am a authorized Cornwell Tools dealer, and sell a tool that plugs into the fuse slot (micro fuse type) has a resettable circuit breaker, and allow you to troubleshoot the problem without having to constantly replace fuses. There are two types, one plugs into a existing dvm (digital volt meter) and the other type has a dvm built into it. They
start at $15.00 and go to $25.00. If you are interested, let me know. Not trying to advertise here, just trying to help you resolve this issue.

thanks

andy schuck
Sounds pretty cool.

Anyway, a few weeks back I had the 10A ignition fuse popping in my car. Twice in one day and got towed home both times. I've shaken down nearly every wire I could find related to the ignition circuit (engine harness, ground wires, up under the steering wheel, etc.) and found nothing wrong. All the wires are clean and connections are tight.

So far the only thing I've changed out was the ignition control module, only because the troubleshooting tree I found based off the Helms manual pointed to the ignition control module more times than anything else. I only guessed at this and speculated that there might possibly be something internally intermittent within the ICM.

I have only taken my car on short trips to work n' such but it has not blown any fuses since then. I cannot guarantee that the ICM fixed the problem. Either that or just me jostling the wires around made it go away, whatever it was. Man I hope it DOES just go away.

If this fuse does NOT pop again, I was thinking about swapping out the old ICM into the car again sometime down the road and just seeing if it pops the fuse again. Don't know what else to do for you, although I did find out that there is ignition wiring connected into a solenoid or two on automatic trans. cars but not manual trans cars.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Compstall
Sounds pretty cool.

Anyway, a few weeks back I had the 10A ignition fuse popping in my car. Twice in one day and got towed home both times.
He said PCM/IGN fuse which is fuse number 13 in I/P fuse box.

You're refering to the IGN fuse number 11 in the underhood fuse box.

Fuse 13 powers the things I listed, 11 powers the ignition system.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 AM

Sounds like maybe someone has arc welded somewhere on your car and not taken BOTH battery cables off. if so your PCM has a bad headache. Just a guess. camaro409
Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
He said PCM/IGN fuse which is fuse number 13 in I/P fuse box.

You're refering to the IGN fuse number 11 in the underhood fuse box.

Fuse 13 powers the things I listed, 11 powers the ignition system.
I wondered if it was a different one. Oh well, just offerin' up some help/experience if it could be of any.