Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #1

MSD Ignition LT1 Distributor Cap and Rotor Kits (OPTI)

I thought that maybe someone will be happy to see this. We waited so long for something like this(but not for ($500) and here we have...
OPTI
Sebastian
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
scyzoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #2

Re: MSD Ignition LT1 Distributor Cap and Rotor Kits (OPTI)

I have sen those and the only thing i dont like is that its not the whole opti unit, just the cap and rotor. i do however think that is cheaper than the estimate that they gave me on a stock replacement cap and rotor at advance.
Evil Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #3

It has been awhile since I changed mine. What else do you need. I was thinking everything else inside you could reuse. I really can't see why they would sell this piece if you still needed other parts. BTW its only $151.99.
95 Z28 Black 6-speed Hypertech Programmer w/cartridge, Moroso Cold Air Intake, Smooth Bellow, LPE Ported Intake, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Magnacore Wires, Edlebrock Headers, High Flow Cat, Borla Cat-back, Hurst Shifter, Spec Stage III Clutch,Transmission Rebuild by RPM, Bilstein Shocks,Eibach Pro Kit,HPM 4 Point Strut Tower Brace, HPM Sub-Frame Connectors, HPM Trailing Arms, HPM Panhard Rod Bar,HPM Adjustable Torque Arm,Poly Bushings, Hellwig Sway Bars,Richmond 4.10s,Torsen Zexel Diff
SVWHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVWHAT
It has been awhile since I changed mine. What else do you need. I was thinking everything else inside you could reuse. I really can't see why they would sell this piece if you still needed other parts. BTW its only $151.99.
The Opti has 2 "halves" - BOTH of them can fail. The front section is the cap and rotor. The back section is the housing, including the bearing (low quality, wears out), the optical sensor and rotating "disc", and the seal for the harness connector, which is the primary "leakage" source. The cap/rotor represents the bulk of the failures, but in maybe 20-25% of the cases, the optical sensor gets crudded up with rust from the cheap carbon steel bearing retainer plate, or the bearing wears out. Replacing only the cap/rotor on a high mileage Opti is risky.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Advanced Tech Moderator

http://web.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315840

And as said it's just the cap and rotor...
Old 12-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Super Moderator

JMO, but I doubt it's much better than the stock one.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyzoryk
I thought that maybe someone will be happy to see this. We waited so long for something like this(but not for ($500) and here we have...
OPTI
Sebastian
Your kind of late to the party. This has been posted by numerous people for several weeks, now.

I don't see where a cap and rotor is much to get excited about.
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to DavesLT1

just wondering if anyone has tried this yet. and if so, how did it work?
1967 Ford Galaxie 500: 460 big block, TCI Super Streetfighter A4, custom 2" headers, custom 3.25" true dual, dual flowmaster 40's, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, cam and heads, Thunder series 800 cfm carb, Carter fuel pump, MSD blaster 2 coil, billet distributor and 8.5mm wires. hoping to get over 500 HP
DavesLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #9

It looks like they improved the rotor tip design with a plastic retainer and solid metal rivot. That IMO was the weakest link in the opti.

I may buy one next month to check out but I probably wont be installing it since my opti is only a couple months old.
turbo_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to DavesLT1

I might get one and replace my opti at the same time just to be sure as I have no clue as to how old my opti is, and my car has 78k on it.
1967 Ford Galaxie 500: 460 big block, TCI Super Streetfighter A4, custom 2" headers, custom 3.25" true dual, dual flowmaster 40's, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, cam and heads, Thunder series 800 cfm carb, Carter fuel pump, MSD blaster 2 coil, billet distributor and 8.5mm wires. hoping to get over 500 HP
DavesLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM

Reply Post New Thread