Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #1

motor oil in coolant recovery can

A guy came by today, he had motor oil in the coolant recovery can. I drained the radiator and his antifreeze looked to be reasonably clean. I can only assume the oil cooler is bad, motor oil is clean, no miss in eng. What is the part number of the filter adapter that will eliminate the cooler. Anyone have a better idea holla back. Danny Mc
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Danny McAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #2

The adapter is already installed. When you take the cooler off you will see it. You just need to get 2 new bolts or cut the tops off the originals. It is a good idea to delete the cooler.
95 Z28 M6 - AFR 180 heads, Comp cam 221/227.542.560,112 lsa. 1.6 pro magnum rr, 30 lb/hr svo injectors, comp-r lifters, melling hv pump, clevite brgs, LT4 extreme roller timing,poly eng/trans mounts, slp mid headers, 3"ory, magnaflow high flow cat/catback, QTP cutout, msd ovc wires, pcm for less emissions tune, moroso cai, slp 3-point sfc's, bmr stb,tq arm,lca's,relo brackets, earls brake lines, 4.10 gears, deleted air, egr, skip shift.
RUDEDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #3

Ask if he put an additive in the coolant. Some result in sludge in the reservoir tank.
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to GhostZ28 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostZ28
stupid *** wife/kids put oil in there purposefully thinking thats where it went?
1999 black Z28 convertible, M6 -spintech 4" edelbrock LT's, DD SFC's, 32mm front sway, Koni's, sphon LCA's, A-arms, upper and lower, 408ci stroker w/F13 cam, HS rockers, tuned by Fastchip and 1994 Z28 A4 T-top w/ LT's and magnaflow: now my brother's car
GhostZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDEDOG View Post
The adapter is already installed. When you take the cooler off you will see it. You just need to get 2 new bolts or cut the tops off the originals. It is a good idea to delete the cooler.
The adapter that is there when you remove the oil cooler is not what you need to run the filter. The threaded tube that the filter attaches too is too long. The correct part is not expensive and can usually be found for little cash on ebay.

Unless there is something wrong with the oil cooler, I don't agree that it's a 'good idea' to remove the cooler. It doesn't hurt anything as far as performance is concerned and it keeps the oil cooler for longer life.....
'94 Trans Am Ram Air: More Performance Heads, 11.0:1 CR, GM 846 cam, Meziere WP, True Roller timing set, Caddy racing lifters, Crane 1.6rr, 54mm TB, 30# FMC injectors, Magnecor wires, LT4 knock module PCMforLESS tune, Jet Hot LT, Corsa, SLP HD clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Moser 12-bolt. LS1 brake conversion, STB, SFC 401 rwhp,440 rwtq
bw_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #6

As BW_Hunter stated ... the factory cooler helps by keeping the oil temps from getting too high and in colder climates it helps minimize cold running engine wear by bringing the oil temp up to design value quicker.

As Wild1 wrote ... I've seen a "slime layer" in my overflow tank too. I have no cooling system problems so it seems to be from the additives - anti-corrosion and water-wetter.
95 1LE M6 - 52mm, Crane 1.6rr s/a & TrickFlow pushrods, LT4 valvesprings & KM, 6# Powerdyne, 37#inj, MAC headers-cat-catback, Mez 55gpm, 160 stat, MSD coil, Hurst, UMI C5/Powerslot brakes w/Russell Lines, Hawk HPS pads, UMI 2x adjustable trailing arms & trackbar, Edelbrock shock brace, ES rollbar bushings, ZR1 17x9.5, Goodyear GS-D3 (275).

Last edited by NJ-LE; 11-25-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: add additional comments
NJ-LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #7

Ditto, not uncommon to have a little scum in the overflow tank. Is he loosing any oil??
Wht 97, M6, SS, Conv., Bld. #35, Free Mods., 160* thermo., 3:73 Gears, MSD Coil & Wires
14.045 1/4m @ 99.52mph, 3816lb., sea level, 87*
Z28SORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Garage
My factory oil cooler's been there for 15 years and has not caused any problems. The shop that built my stroker thought it was good enough to keep.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #9

Guy that had oil in the coolant came back today. I got the adapter from an old block told my employee to remove the oil cooler and use the adapter,he came back and told me there is no cooler on the car above the filter.(95 Formula LT1) I just don't believe that anything is broken on that motor that will let oil get to radiator. The owner remarked he did'nt notice the oil in radiator till after he ran 1/2 can Sea foam in the oil for a couple of days before he changed it. I checked the coolant can it only had a thin film of what seemed to be oil on the plastic gauge since I cleaned it yesterday. I pressure checked the cooling system, compression check was good also, no problem with either one. The fuel pump went out 6 weeks ago, as it dropped pressure it leaned out and burned the cat up, we had to take the exhaust system apart to get the pieces out of the pipe and muffler, that is the most problem I know of with this car. I am out of ideas.
Danny McAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Reply Post New Thread