LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

should i toss it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM

should i toss it??

so im in the middle of changing out my water pump and as im putting it all back together im looking at the air pump/bracket that i had to remove in order to access a bolt...i know this is egr related so can i toss it or do i need to put it back on??
thanks-jake
Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM

...huh? You mean the whole AIR and EGR or just the bracket or what? EGR is not essential for engine function, so you can remove it. HOWEVER, if you do not get it removed from your computers programming than i will light up the check engine light. I deleted ALL smog provisions(EGR, AIR) on my car, but also did the tune. IF you delete your EGR, you will need to block off the back side of the intake with EGR block off plates (you can get them cheap on ebay these days).
Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jakesm89
so im in the middle of changing out my water pump and as im putting it all back together im looking at the air pump/bracket that i had to remove in order to access a bolt...i know this is egr related so can i toss it or do i need to put it back on??
thanks-jake

That bracket is for the AIR pump. It has nothing at all to do with the EGR system. Depending on the year, you can simply remove the pump and bracket and not have an issue. Later LT1 cars (96-97 OBD2) will illuminate the SES light unless you get the system programmed out. The function of the AIR system is to inject filtered air into the exhaust manifold to heat the catalytic convertor faster and minimize emissions.

It will help us help you if you add a signature telling us about your car..year, mods, etc. so we don't have to give you wide ranging answers to your questions.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
That bracket is for the AIR pump. It has nothing at all to do with the EGR system. Depending on the year, you can simply remove the pump and bracket and not have an issue. Later LT1 cars (96-97 OBD2) will illuminate the SES light unless you get the system programmed out. The function of the AIR system is to inject filtered air into the exhaust manifold to heat the catalytic convertor faster and minimize emissions.
gotcha...mines a 95 with no cat so emmisions wouldnt be an issue, but im probably just gonna go ahead and hook it all back up to avoid problemss
Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM

I want to get rid of mine as well. but i dont want a SES light. (already had a tune and dont wanna send it out for a re-tune)

I just had my waterpump out to replace the leaky gaskets. the AIR pump was a PITA throughout the whole process. I have LTs, no cats and a cutout. its loud. and occassionally gives off a loud POP (backfire) as the revs come down.

Could this be from the unnecessary AIR pump still pushing hot air through the exhaust?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator

The AIR pump shouldn't be operating past the first 3 minutes after startup.