LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Making My own Sub Frame connectors?? Bad Idea??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:39 AM

Making My own Sub Frame connectors?? Bad Idea??

I need to install some sub frame connectors soon. I had my car up on the lift, got a good look at the frame and started thinkin. I cant really see it being that hard to buy some steel tubing/plates and bend and weld up my own sub frame connectors. As a matter of fact, that goes for the strut tower brace as well. I work in a dealership shop and have plenty of equipment to get the job done. I just don't know if I'll screw something up. I figure doing it this way, I would be able to make them bolt up 1st, see how they feel, throw it on the alignment rack to check for F-up's, then weld them in if everything is peachy. I don't really care about how they look under the car( I'll worry about that when I'm pullin the front wheels 3 ft off a launch). I'm planning on taking up metal fabrication soon anyway. Just an idea. What do ya'll think? I'm trying to get as much input as possible. Thanks!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:42 AM

Might be a good project. Couldn't hurt to try. Good luck!

Oh, but you may want some advice for the future. If you do this and it works good, you must document every procedure/materials used/cost, b/c if you make posts without telling your "secrets" or "custom work", people will get mad at you.

...just a joke, but seriously, good luck, it's definitely something I haven't heard of people trying to do.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:46 AM

you must also swear to the LT1 gods and post dyno results immediately,

Anyway I have a frwind that has made his own, just be sure to have the weight on the suspension when you weld them in. (I.E just like it was setting on it tires fully)
Old 03-05-2004, 09:47 AM

Yea, I know. There has been a bit of S-Talking on the old site here. Com'on fellas, Were all buddys here. Anyway thanks for the incouragment AxeGrinder!! I will make it a point to photograph and document every move. Thanks !!!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by WS Sick
you must also swear to the LT1 gods and post dyno results immediately,

Anyway I have a frwind that has made his own, just be sure to have the weight on the suspension when you weld them in. (I.E just like it was setting on it tires fully)
dyno results?

I know it can be done, but just gotta cost it out and see if its a better option of taking the materials and the chance that it doesnt work out or something...Then you'll be down that much more money when you go out to buy some Kenny Brown's or bmr'S..

But it sounds like a good project! Keep us posted if you do try!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM

Excellent idea, in fact I laid a plan out w/drwgs for mine using square tubing same size as BMR's square. I like their design because it beefs up the LCA brackets. Mine is being modified to have stitch welds in between the length front to rear is the major difference. Rather than just being connected front and back they will also be attached throught the length for rigidity. $23.00 for materials from our local steel supply.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM

I put a set on my buddies TA that you could make very easy. they were just straight pices of boxed tubbing probally 1.5"X3 and I don't rember how long they were but they had great ground clearance and every easy to intall. They went from the rear LCA mount to the front Subframe. No bends in them at all. He might still have the measurments I am not sure.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by chesee48
dyno results?

Its called a joke, and or sarcasm.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:47 PM

Cool!! I was thinking about grabbin a long piece of 1 1/4" solid steel pipe. I thought that hollow pipe might be too weak. How much should they weigh? I was thinking that I would need to go that route b/c It would be eaiser to bend, but if your sayin that I could just get a piece of boxed steel and install it with out bending it I'll just do that. If I remember correctly the boxed sub's are stronger anyway. Right? I live in Orlando, so where should I go to pick up the steel? I don't think Home Depot or Lows would have somthing like that. Thanks for the info Ya'll

Last edited by cmbob67; 03-05-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Here are the SFC I was talking about you might just want to buy these as cheap as they are. EbaySFC
Old 03-05-2004, 03:48 PM

I wouldnt use a solid pipe, I'd go with a heavy gauge tube or square tube. The solid pipe would add alot of weigh depending on its size.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by cmbob67
Cool!! I was thinking about grabbin a long piece of 1 1/4" solid steel pipe. I thought that hollow pipe might be too weak. How much should they weigh? I was thinking that I would need to go that route b/c It would be eaiser to bend, but if your sayin that I could just get a piece of boxed steel and install it with out bending it I'll just do that. If I remember correctly the boxed sub's are stronger anyway. Right? I live in Orlando, so where should I go to pick up the steel? I don't think Home Depot or Lows would have somthing like that. Thanks for the info Ya'll
holy moly don't use SOLID STEEL...first of all it would not be as strong say as pipe being due to it's ductile and ability to move compared to true pipe, 2" square tubing x 11ga would be more than sufficient for SFC strength.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:29 PM

I thought about doing the same thing myself. I'm welding certified so that part would be easy. I also have a good hookup with my local welding shop to get materials very cheap and use their equipment free of charge. I bet you could get everything for$25-30 bucks and then just powdercoat them to look good. If you bought powdercoat in bulk it would work out to be pretty cheap. Probably could sell them for $70-80 bucks and make yourself some money too. Make a jig and just go down the line welding everything up. Make a little weekend production out of them and make some cash. Once word got around how good the quality was I bet people would be clawing at your door to pay half the price to get the same quality as some of the big name manufacturers. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:09 PM

Hell yea, I'm excited now. I don't know a whole lot about powder coating tho. Where would I find information on at-home powder coating?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by cmbob67
Where would I find information on at-home powder coating?
You would have to have a very large oven to bake the parts in.

Quick Reply: Making My own Sub Frame connectors?? Bad Idea??