LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Main Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Main Bearings

Hey Members,
Just replaced my connecting rod bearings with the engine in the car. Can the main bearings be replaced also with the engine in the vehicle? Not sure if the front timing cover has to be removed. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM

Re: Main Bearings

Yes, both mains and rods can be changed in the car. It's a bit of a pain but can be done.

Once you pull the pan and removed a main cap, insert a cotter pin folded over to form a 'T' into the oil hole in the journal face. Rotate the crank slowly and the pin will push the bearing half out. I'd then spray the area where the shell was with brake cleaner thoroughly to remove any oil from where the shell backside would be. Remove the cotter pin from the crank, lube the new bearing shell and stick it on the journal. You'll be able to start the bearing by hand but may have to finish with the pin. It works much easier if you loosen each main journal.

I think you need an extra deep 16mm to clear the windage tray studs on the main bolts....probably the only 'odd' socket.

I'd be very careful with the oil pump drive...the sleeve connection at the pump is fragile...

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!