LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Magna-spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Re: Magna-spark

I suffered another 2 1/2 hour setback today, the LUNATI cam that I have is not drilled for the shaft on the back of the OPTI. my choices were delay up to 2 weeks getting it rectified or swap the original cam back in. Since I NEED the truck this weekend, I opted for the latter, It did run well anyway; so it is not a huge setback. I had hoped to have the top, fuel lines, and headers back on today, BUT OH WELL!!! such is life at my house LOL!! I hope to pick up the new seals tomorrow, then ~~Maybe get the front of the motor on?? depending how big of a fight the pan seal gives me.

the good thing I would guess I hadn't installed the TPI runners and upper, saved myself that money
Old 11-12-2014, 06:03 PM

wow I am slow!!!! I just looked back at some of my other posts, this has been 3 years in the making!!! My, how time flies when you are not having fun! sorry for the long delays.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 AM

I am following this, but need to read it again. You are running an LT1 off an early LS1 computer?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

....this mod will allow you to remain Stock LOOKING but switch to the 411 ECU.
That is an LS1 PCM.

PCM | 411 SWAP
Old 11-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
That is an LS1 PCM.

PCM | 411 SWAP
Thank you. can a 411 be tuned to run an LT1 with an added on ignition harness for the LS1 coils?

edit: no crank sensor...hence the 24x system

Last edited by maybe2fast; 11-13-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Administrator

"tinbender" is attempting to invent a cam position sensor to replace the optical unit in the Opti, within the original Opti housing. And as I understand it, wants to keep the Opti cap and rotor functional, to feed the plugs, so it appears to be stock.

Note that in the link I provided for the 411, it states:

It uses a special tune to allow the old style 18436572 firing order and one coil ignition setup.
"tinbender" - correct me if I have this wrong.

This is just the opposite of my approach (actually, the Second Street Speed approach) back in 2000, which was to keep the optical cam position sensor, use it to feed extremely accurate cam position to a MoTeC aftermarket ECU, and use a MoTeC 8-channel ignition driver to allow the use of 8 LS1-style coils. To me, the optical section seems to be the most reliable part, once you get the high voltage and all the ozone out of the case. Plus you get the benefit of huge coil capacity, and long dwell times to beef up the ignition for big power adder systems.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:37 PM

"tinbender" is attempting to invent a cam position sensor to replace the optical unit in the Opti, within the original Opti housing. And as I understand it, wants to keep the Opti cap and rotor functional, to feed the plugs, so it appears to be stock.

Note that in the link I provided for the 411, it states:

"tinbender" - correct me if I have this wrong.

This is just the opposite of my approach (actually, the Second Street Speed approach) back in 2000, which was to keep the optical cam position sensor, use it to feed extremely accurate cam position to a MoTeC aftermarket ECU, and use a MoTeC 8-channel ignition driver to allow the use of 8 LS1-style coils. To me, the optical section seems to be the most reliable part, once you get the high voltage and all the ozone out of the case. Plus you get the benefit of huge coil capacity, and long dwell times to beef up the ignition for big power adder systems.

yes you are correct, with one small exception, " If you can aquire a 24X reluctor for the crankshaft, you will be able to run the 24X CNP as well with my modded opti, if you wish" I've been told you can run CNP on 4X + 2X but in batch fire mode, this I have not confermed. we may also be able to run coil pack like the Northstar uses - gotta look into that once this is done. Injuneer;6970300 I do hate to crash your party but the Opti system is only as acurite as your timming chain, just sayin, lol.

the system is built and ready for field testing, my truck is not wanting to cooperate at the moment, LOL

P.S. Injuneer;6970300 thanks for the assistance!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 PM

That is an LS1 PCM.

PCM | 411 SWAP
Injuneer is this your blog on worldpress?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Nope. Just a link I thought would be helpful.

You didn't burst my bubble. GM proved the Opti setup significantly reduced spark scatter. I also know the timing chain (LT4 Extreme Duty) is solid, I know how the cam was ground, and the MoTeC ECU permits adjusting for signal offset.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM

Nope. Just a link I thought would be helpful.

You didn't burst my bubble. GM proved the Opti setup significantly reduced spark scatter. I also know the timing chain (LT4 Extreme Duty) is solid, I know how the cam was ground, and the MoTeC ECU permits adjusting for signal offset.
"LT4 Extreme Duty??" never heard of it?? need to resarch that one for sure.

"the MoTeC ECU permits adjusting for signal offset" hum?? maybe I went the wrong direction???

I'm not sure on this point, but I think that the spark scatter reduction would be more from the lowered High voltage than the spark trigger? basic electrical theories!

Last edited by tinbender59; 11-18-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Administrator

You don't understand "scatter". It's the actual timing of the spark, ahead of or behind when it is supposed to occur. The high resolution signal tells the PCM whether the engine is running at constant speed, accelerating, or decelerating. A 4X signal leaves you in the dark about what happened to engine RPM for the 90° of crank rotation between pulses. The high resolution signal let's the PCM know the exact position of the crank within 1°.

GM's SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) paper/presentation on the development of the unique features of the LT1 engine (reverse flow cooling, and optical cam/pseudo crank position system) explains this quite clearly.. It resulted in increased HP through more accurate spark and fuel injection timing, allowed more aggressive spark advance without risk of detonation, produced a reduction of emissions, and improved fuel economy.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM

You don't understand "scatter". It's the actual timing of the spark, ahead of or behind when it is supposed to occur. The high resolution signal tells the PCM whether the engine is running at constant speed, accelerating, or decelerating. A 4X signal leaves you in the dark about what happened to engine RPM for the 90° of crank rotation between pulses. The high resolution signal let's the PCM know the exact position of the crank within 1°.

GM's SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) paper/presentation on the development of the unique features of the LT1 engine (reverse flow cooling, and optical cam/pseudo crank position system) explains this quite clearly.. It resulted in increased HP through more accurate spark and fuel injection timing, allowed more aggressive spark advance without risk of detonation, produced a reduction of emissions, and improved fuel economy.
way cool, thanks for clearing that up, and it does make good sence, I was thinking the ark from the rotor to the post being rather splattered.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Injuneer- Does the LTCC still use the optical sensor to its full potential as you described above?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Administrator

As far as I know. Bob Bailey would have to provide the definitive answer.

Remember, it's still feeding the low and high resolution cam position to the PCM for injector timing.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 PM

HUM??? i wonder if there is a way to get CNP, with the OPTI signals??? wouldnt that be way cool??? get the Hi voltage out of there, seal it tight, and go. best of all worlds!!!!

RATS!! for next project or the third one