Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

Question LT1 without a EFI or opti???

This one is a little off topic, I suppose. I have a 1964 Chevelle SS with a 283 on its last legs. I also have a 68 chevy truck my dad and I swapped a 94 LT1 and 4L60E into. The truck is about to be junked, and Iíve been wondering if it was possible to put the LT1 minus the ecm in the chevelle. I really don't want a wiring harness or ecm in the chevelle. The car has a Muncie m20 I want to keep. Iím sure Iíve seen a carb intake for the LT1 somewhere before. Iíll have to find that again. I was really curious about removing the optispark. Can I just leave it off? Will the LT1 oil pump be a problem? If I keep the LT1 water pump, the reverse flow wonít be a problem will it? Iím not set on using this motor in the car; I just would like to use it, since I already have it (the motorís tip top as well).

By the way, I would love it if someone could give me a link to a suitable intake (and any other necessary parts) for this swap. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

Go to summit racing and type this part # in
NAL-24502592
A regular chevy HEI distributor will work on that.

I think GMPP offers a block off plate for the opti drive that also has a timing reference on it. Not sure if they still make it. You could just weld the hole shut though.
GMRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #3

Use to be a common swap for Gen II into Gen I car.

U will need electric fan(s) and a fan shroud for the radiator as the LT1 wtr pmp has no way to drive a fan and fan clutch. Also a controller to operate the fan(s).

I'm just guessing but think any '87 & later model intake with the correct bolt pattern would work - but the water crossover passage and T-stat housing would have to be ignored.

I have ideas for this swap also,
cardo0
Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

It is kinda pointless to use an LT1 sans the EFI. Might as well
sell the LT1 and get a carbed crate motor.

Tom
sbca96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #5

I might just do that. I didn't even think about the fans. My truck has the camaro rad and fan setup in it. Ah well. anybody want an lt1/4l60? haha!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #6

I agree on the go gen 1 if carbing it. I just wanted to post to say ther IS a way to have a mechanical fan on an LT1, the tow package b-bodies had mechanical fans, bracket that bolts over the waterpump and a second little serpentine belt and tensioner.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #7

Go to Crate Engine Depot site:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/search.aspx
put LT1 in the search window and you'll see an carb intake manifold and a few new Goodwrench lt1 crate engines for sale . They are longblocks and one says it's the P Camaro or Corvette motor for 92-94 so it should have the aluminum heads.
The intake manifold looks pretty nice.
97WS6,V2 SQ SuperCharger w/T-REX fuel pump and Crane FireBall HI-6R ignition w/adjustable retard ,Crane Electronic Trigger, Crane LX-92 Coil, 160F, LT4KM,!TBC, !CAGS, NGK TR6 plugs, Pirelli P7000 SS 275x40x17", McLeod Adjustable Master Cylinder, RAM HD Clutch, EdlleBrock Adj Torque Bar, MAFS Translator Plus ,MagnaFlow 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, B&M Ripper Shifter.
97WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #8

According to "How to Rebuild LT-1/LT-4 Small-Block Chevy Engines"; the part numbers for the 4-barrel intake manifolds are.....

LT1 - 24502592
LT4 - 24502574

For the cover in place of the Opti-spark....

GM cover plug - 12367600

Throw the numbers into www.gmpartsdirect.com and you can see pictures of them.

"How to Rebuild LT-1/LT-4 Small-Block Chevy Engines" also says.....

"Because the original torsional damper is 7 1/2" in diameter, it won't clear the timing tab on the front cover plug plate. If using a rear mount distributor, you'll need to install a 0.184" x 0.680" key into the crank snout's front key slot and obtain a small-block Chevy zero-balanced damper with a diameter of 6 3/4"(commonly available). This will completely replace the OE hub adapter and damper."

The book documents how to rebuild the LT1/4 to stock fuel injection, but they also documented how to convert it to a carbed application. Excellent book.

This may be useful too....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...2000/24206.pdf
Piedmont..8.333@89.07/Farmington..8.389@88.35

Last edited by ACE1252; 06-25-2008 at 10:03 PM.
ACE1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to wyldcdn Send a message via Yahoo to wyldcdn
new camaro mag, has a build up of lt1. Block off plate on it, using a electric water pump, GM intake for carb and dist. at rear. Great article. Thinking of using spare lt1 as my play motor in a g body. No Pwr steering a/c etc etc , straight motor electric WP and electric motor for alt. Let her fly with carb and dist. see what happens
1994 auto z28. Headers, y pip, bolt in cat delete, qtp electric cutout, flow master. SS rear 3:42's Relocation brackets. CAI, granatelli MAF, Aluminum elbow powder coated black, MSD wires and coil. Hyper crapped,
http://www.youtube.com/user/wyldcdn
wyldcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #10

Where to get a mechinical fan bracket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr View Post
. I just wanted to post to say ther IS a way to have a mechanical fan on an LT1, the tow package b-bodies had mechanical fans, bracket that bolts over the waterpump and a second little serpentine belt and tensioner.
Thx for posting Dwayne as i did not know this. I would prefer the mechanical fan for a GEN II conversion.
Looks like the Buick Roadmaster station wagons and the Impallas with the GEN II blocks had this bracket. Can i still buy the mechanical fan bracket from the GM parts houses?

cardo0
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Reply Post New Thread