LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 in truck, looking at alternator & PS only brackets, keep existing balancer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM

LT1 in truck, looking at alternator & PS only brackets, keep existing balancer

I'm putting a '96 LT1 from my Camaro in a '62 International Scout rock crawler, replacing an existing gen 1 SBC. It's currently set up on 67-72 truck SBC motor mounts, and I'm intending on continuing to use them on the LT1. I also have the March underdrive crank pulley installed, but not stuck on retaining if need be...plus I figure getting the alternator spinning faster at lower RPMs would actually be a benefit to me. I'm also planning on running a old style York AC compressor converted for on board air (for airing up tires, running air tools, etc..it will not be for air conditioning)

I will not be running air conditioning in the truck at all. Unfortunately, the stock accessory bracket and alternator was stolen while I had the truck and engine in a shop some time ago, so I'm basically starting fresh. I do have the stock PS pump/reservoir though.

I've been researching the past few days, and have found the several low mount alternator brackets and relocation kits, as well as the Alan Grove high mount bracket kit, but none of these really accomplish what I'd like to do.

Ideally, I'd prefer to retain the higher mount of the alternator and get the PS pump up as well, to keep it out of the way of mud/water/silt that might get tossed up on a trail or during water crossings. I like the overall setup of the Alan Grove high mounts, and I should have plenty of hood clearance to clear the accessories mounted that high, but it looks like the only option is one to also run the Sanden style AC pump which I don't want, and it still keeps the PS pump low (though if I run a type II pump, it may not be a big deal if it gets dunked a few times).

Short of fabricating brackets myself, are there other off the shelf options which don't carry first born price tags?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Re: LT1 in truck, looking at alternator & PS only brackets, keep existing balancer

The Corvette accessory drive keeps everything up high though if you're worried about water/mud the LT1 may not be the best choice. You might want to look at the 24x kit if you're retaining the fuel injection.