LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lt1 started when it wants, now not at all

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Re: Lt1 started when it wants, now not at all

The harness that connects on the pass. side of the intake manifold has no visible damage on or in it. Not sure about the other end as i cant really get down to it. I may just get a new one anyway, but since i would be down there to do that, it makes me want to put in a new Opti as well. This is a 194k car, and idk if this is the original Opti anyway. It would not surprise me if it wasn't

Also, i may just invest in a new ICM/coil for the sake of knowing its good. I'll see if the store will test it for me. And as for the wiring to the coil, it has been changed. The connectors are barely held together, and they are wired together and taped. Its the two separate black and grey ones. Do you know where i could get quality connectors for it? I have found both of them on the Advance Auto website, since i live 5 minutes from one. Im not sure of the brand. Ill post links for you to check them out to see if they're worthy.

And i do own the factory 94 manual, and a Haynes manual. If i remember, it has all the wiring diagrams in the back of it if thats what you mean.

BWD Tachometer Gauge Connector PT251: You

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...034%7CL3*16064

Last edited by 16Sammy61; 06-30-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 16Sammy61
... And as for the wiring to the coil, it has been changed. The connectors are barely held together, and they are wired together and taped. Its the two separate black and grey ones. Do you know where i could get quality connectors for it? ...
This known situation should have been already been addressed.

Eficonnections has pigtails for $16 each, if you don't find what you need locally.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Administrator

........ And as for the wiring to the coil, it has been changed. The connectors are barely held together, and they are wired together and taped. Its the two separate black and grey ones.......
So you know you have a problem with the screwed up wires to the coil.... you are getting codes for the ICM that indicate wiring problems at the coil/ICM..... but you haven't fixed that problem FIRST????

You've got to use a little bit of common sense.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 AM

Yes, i realize it should be fixed first. I wanted to be sure that this is what has caused it. First, how many wires lead into each plug. The grey one has two holes, two wires in each one, with two male pins. The black also has two holes, yet only 1 wire and 1 pin. I assume it should have two, which is whats causing the codes. I'll have to check to make the other wire hasnt been cut short and stuffed inside somewhere.

I'll make my way to the store to see if they are in stock. If not ill place an order and fix the issue.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:32 AM

Yes, i realize it should be fixed first. I wanted to be sure that this is what has caused it. First, how many wires lead into each plug. The grey one has two holes, two wires in each one, with two male pins. The black also has two holes, yet only 1 wire and 1 pin. I assume it should have two, which is whats causing the codes. I'll have to check to make the other wire hasnt been cut short and stuffed inside somewhere.

I'll make my way to the store to see if they are in stock. If not ill place an order and fix the issue.
There are only 3 wires that go to the stock coil, so the lack of one wire is not causing your problem.

http://shbox.com/1/95_ign_system_schematic.jpg

Any new pigtail will have one that you will need to cap off.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Administrator

The "extra" wire is for the tach drive connection. Only 1993 uses that pin.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM

I got the two plugs from the auto store today, and they both have a pink and white wire from each.

Gray connector= thin white wire on top, thick light pink wire on top.
Black connector= thin white wire on top, thin dark pink wire on bottom.

The colors the first wires are wired to are confusing. I couldnt name the exact colors of them. Heres how it is wired in the car:

Gray connector= thin white wire to a whitish brown with black stripe, thick light pink to pink with black stripe.
Black connector= thin pink to a really dirty pink

Does this sound right?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Shoebox's wiring diagram shows the wire colors for each connector.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM

I dont understand the schematics very well. I cant really read them, but i think i've got it right. I'll probably fix this tomorrow. Its rained and stormed. Once fixed should i clear the dtc's and run the engine again? If it dies and sets the codes again what else could be causing it? Advance auto could not test my ICM so its kinda hit or miss if its good.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Let's try a little harder - it's extremely easy to understand.

The diagram is labeled "BLACK CONNECTOR" in two places.

The BLACK CONNECTOR arrows point to pins "A" and "B" on the connector.

There is a pink wire connected to pin "B" in the BLACK CONNECTOR.

Nothing connects to pin "A" in the BLACK CONNECTOR.

The diagram is labeled "GRAY CONNECTOR" in one place.

The GRAY CONNECTOR arrows point to pins "A" and "B" on the connector.

There is a white/black from the ICM wire that connects to pin "A" on the GRAY CONNECTOR

There is a pink/black wire from the ICM that connects to pin "B" on the GRAY CONNECTOR.

If you are going to try and do your own work on a car that is basically a rat's nest of wires and electrical devices, you have to learn the fundamentals required to understand the available documentation. It is way easier to say "I don't get it" and let someone else lead you by the hand.... but you need to step up.

Several people have made a major effort to help you. Now it's up to you.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 PM

I wired together the wires accordingly. I used butt connectors instead of just twisting them together, and i used electrical tape on the ends to keep water out. Car started, sat at 2k rpm for a second, then idled decently. I cut it off and back on multiple times and it started a little quicker once warmed.

It died after i let it idle for a while, and wouldn't restart after about 15 minutes of trying. I checked the connections and all seemed fine. I got the cable and scanned and i now have DTC 48 for the wiring of the MAF. It looked fine, but if necessary i'll replace it. However my next move is the Opti harness, which i found on Summit from Casper's for $30. Is it possible to replace the harness without removing the water pump, given the car is raised enough? Or would it be easier to just buy new WP gaskets and remove it?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 PM

A good source for harnesses and pigtails is EFI Connections.

EFI Connections
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Yeah that's my goto for anything special. I got my coil connectors from the nearby Advance Auto Parts, only because they would be in the next day instead of me waiting on shipping.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Car will not start at all now. Found some cracking in the ICM. Brand new Casper's opti harness, MSD coil, AC Delco ICM, and some bleed screws for my blocked off system all from Summit. Expected tomorrow morning. Will update again after install.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 PM

All new parts installed. Msd coil, icm, opti harness. Still nothing. It just turns over constantly and never fires up. I dont want to give up on this car, but im getting bummed on fixing it. It has no start at all, even with the new ignition parts.

Another thing to mention is you can smell gas without the car running. As i was cranking it to try and start it, it never did. But i could kind of smell gas when i popped my head under the hood. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Lt1 started when it wants, now not at all