LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header install tommorrow. TIPS PLEASE>

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:05 PM

Header install tommorrow. TIPS PLEASE>

Hey guys, installing MAC midlengths tommorow. I want to know what things I should remove to make them slide in nice. Do I slide from the bottom or top. Top looks nearly impossible! Anyways, any tips would be awesome. Thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 PM

Re: Header install tommorrow. TIPS PLEASE>

The best way to start is to spray everything thoroughly with PB Blaster, I also use and have had good results with the GM Rust Penetrant, but I doubt you would trudge to the dealer for that when you can get the PB at Auto-Zone or Walmart. For my LTs, I slid the drivers side in from the bottom and the passenger side from the top. I dont know if that is the same with the Mids. For the drivers side, I removed the steering linkage and the passenger side the starter, alternator, oil dipstick, and valve cover. Not sure if you will have to remove the valve cover, I did though so the EGR tube on the header would clear.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM

thanks any more tips? Great info so far
Old 09-29-2005, 05:41 PM

well you dont have to mess with the steering linkage b/c macs have a slip tube on the primary that goes around it. and lets see here,i think [if i remember right] both went in from bottom, but contrary to the instructions i didnt remove the motormount for the side they say i had to opposite side. on my buddies 97 ta driver side header went in from top for some reason. hope some of this helps
Old 09-30-2005, 01:07 AM

Alright lets see...I'll try and give you a complete run through of what I did. Get 1-2 cans of PB Blaster, and begin by removing the y-pipe. Then, hose down the manifold bolts, ideally one day in advance and again when you losen them. I used my 3/8" ratchet and a 3' piece of pipe to break the manifold bolts, and did so beneath the car. Keep in mind that the alternator bracket/#2 manifold bolt will be a pain. It took me 1 hr. 3 beers and 1 steak and cheese to get that out. After that removing is easy. Be careful with your 02's, PB Blaster can destroy them if you use it to get them out. You'll probably have to buy new ones. As far as installing, I did both sides from the bottom, by myself. You'll think that the driver's side is impossible, but don't panic or force it, there is a way. I don't even remember how, but the header eventually went up there, take your time. The only thing I needed help with was positioning the header gaskets (GM). After you get the bolts (I used Breslin, terrific bolts) started, you'll be all set. If you get annoyed and tired at any point, stop. Especially when you're trying to bolt up the new Y-pipe. I tried finishing this at about 3 AM, and it was not fun. Save it for the next day, you'll be fine. Don't force anything, and have fun! It took me 3 days, by myself. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:53 AM

May god have mercy on your soul.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:56 AM

One thing that comes to mind that I forgot to mention, be careful on the drivers side when pushing the header up. It is very easy to snag and break the plastic electrical connector on the coolant temp. sensor mounted in the cylinder head.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 AM

I definately second the PB Blaster comments. I also used a metal tube over my socket wrench for a little more torque, but use your own judgement with this because you dont want to break anything. I put in LTs, had to go in through the bottom with both, and did not have to remove valve covers or anything - not even my oil filter. I was snagging on something for a while and couldn't figure it out and it turned out to be a little heat shield on the driver's side rear. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Make sure you have some extra hands when putting in the headers to help hold them while you tighten. Good luck
Old 09-30-2005, 11:04 AM

I have tips.

1) give it some time, don't rush it do it right.
2) Use stage 8 locking bolts
3) DON'T FORCE the header bolts going in, finger tight then torque, DO NOT strip heads.
4) Getting Dipstick tube in was a pita, might think about a flexible stick upgrade.
5) I had clearance problem on steering linkage/shaft, I ended up grinding some of the shaft down.... U might have this problem u might not.
6) Use good gaskets, I used percy aluminum and felpros cuz I had leak problems.
7) Do plugs/wires while your there.

Brian
Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Just had my installed on Sept 10-11th weekend.

Get a level and make sure all the collectors that are going to the block are "level". My number #2 collector had to be "coaxed" into a correct position

Disconnected pos terminal on battery. Safety and it won't mess up the radio.

Removed belt, alternator, starter, dipstick, steering shaft, air tubings, O2's.
Buy the water temp sensor beforehand. It's between the #1 and #3 plug. It'll get broken. We also replaced all the spark plugs during the operation. And the wires too. So if you do do the wires you will have to remove the belt tensioner toget to the opti. It's the best time to get the old stock wires out when the stock manifolds are off. There's a couple of "hidden" clips around the alternator power steering area...

When you have the dipstick off, tie wrap it to the Y-pipe. Trust me. It's a lot easier to put in at the appropriate time than after the whole exhaust is put together because we forgot it lying on the bench.

Do a dry fit on the drivers side first and check the clearance against the Master Brake cylinder. Might have to "dimple" that last collector to fit comfortably.

Both new headers went in from underneath. We didn't do anything with the valve covers except get them smudged up. Oil filter didn't have to removed either.

This was for MAC's into a 97 Trans with dual high flow cats.

"Hawk" had some good points too; run the bolts in finger tight first, unless you have a tap set handy and like doing that kind of work for an hour.

We used Mr Gasket gasket. Had to replace the passenger side a week later for an exhaust leak though.

We also put on an LS1 SLP loudmouth so I had to get the adapter hanger kit from SLP.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 PM

I'm doing Pacesetter LT tomorrow too... good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Do yourself a favor and put in new motor mounts while you have it apart, I didn't and will have to pull the headers to install them now.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DugRat
Do yourself a favor and put in new motor mounts while you have it apart, I didn't and will have to pull the headers to install them now.
I have them ready, lifting the motor to install them should make the header install easier I suppose...?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 PM

I used GM factory gaskets with no problems, by the way
Old 09-30-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyTuffD.A.
May god have mercy on your soul.
Yea what he said! You'll be amazed how much a header install expands your vocabulary!

Last edited by importeater; 09-30-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Header install tommorrow. TIPS PLEASE>