LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 intake???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM

LT1 intake???

I seen in a thread,that LT1 owners are going to a different intake.What intake is it and were do you buy it?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Re: LT1 intake???

Originally Posted by beaver50
I seen in a thread,that LT1 owners are going to a different intake.What intake is it and were do you buy it?
They are talking about a cold air intake such as the K & N or Moroso.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM

Im sorry about that.i thought they might be talking about the air intake.there like the carb intakes.they have the TBI mount up off the intake so air can run threw it.Has anybody tried one.Or whats your thought on it??
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by beaver50
Im sorry about that.i thought they might be talking about the air intake.there like the carb intakes.they have the TBI mount up off the intake so air can run threw it.Has anybody tried one.Or whats your thought on it??
I noticed you replied to a recent "For Sale" post that included this item:

LT1 Converted Weiend Team G single plane carb manifold $125

The LT1 intake has its limits. But they are fairly high. People routinely make 500+ HP at the flywheel with them, and I've seen forced induction setups exceed 1,000 HP with the LT1 intake, albeit ported or otherwise modified. The manifold described above is a single plane Gen 1 small block Chevy intake (LT1 is a Gen 2 SBC). A single plane intake offers the advantage of great flow at very high RPM, complementing radical cams. If you are looking to build a very high HP engine, it may be worth some consideration. Actually, the Super Victor and Victor Jr. intakes seem to be used more often.

But they may not provide the best results for a street engine, looking for good torque at low RPM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Administrator

This is going to be fairly tall by the time you put a throttle body on it, and a 90-deg elbow.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:39 PM

No,Im not going carbed.I was asking about another part on that thread.But car shop performance makes one like the pic.But its a lot shorter.You can put a 52mm on it with no problem.Its made for the LT1 and not a bad price.I think one is $849.00 and the other is $469.00 or close to them numbers.Im thinking about buying one.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Administrator

I didn't say you were going carbed. You could buy the 4 bbl single plane intake manifold, a throttle body - either TBI or just the TB and run direct port injection, and then need the 90-deg elbow. There is no mention or picture of a carb in anything I posted. You mentioned you "seen it in a thread", and that was the only thread I saw you participate in that mentioned an intake manifold.

Looking at Car Shop Performance, and searching on "LT1" indicates they sell (but do not make) the Edelbrock Air Gap LT1 intake manifold. That is basically a copy of the stock manifold, with the "air gap" added. Unfortunately, adding the airgap reduces the plenum volume below that of the stock LT1 manifold, and dyno tests have shown there is no significant gain, and possible problems at high air flow due to the reduced plenum volume.

You mentioned "TBI" and the neither the stock manifold or the Edelbrock uses throttle body injection. The injectors are direct port, in the manifold runners.

Is this what you were looking at:

The Edelbrock Performer LT1 for $825 is not an intake manifold. That is a single (you need two) Edelbrock LT1 head.... also a complete disaster with regard to bang for the buck. You could have your stock heads ported to produce 450HP at the flywheel, and get a matching cam for about the same price as a pair of those heads.

Don't waste your money.

Last edited by Injuneer; 02-12-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 AM

This is what Fred is talking about.

That is a 408 ci LS motor which has much better aftermarket support than the LT1 ever did. Pretty much any single plane fuel injected intake for an LT1 is going to be a one off piece built from a Gen 1 small block manifold.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Or this......

I think I just got confused when he mentioned "TBI mount up off the intake so air can run threw it.".... I think he just meant a "throttle body" that bolts to the front of an LT1 style intake manifold.

Hopefully he will clarify what he intends.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:09 PM

Its the 2nd pic that injuneer posted.I was talking about the throttle body and intake.i thought that with that air going threw in might help cool everything off.But if it dont.ill do something else.im going to have my heads done no matter what.Thanks for the help and info!!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 PM

I'm assuming you mean the air gap LT1 intake that Edelbrock makes. It's more of a gimmick than anything. The intake is bolted to a set of cylinder heads that get rather warm after all and aluminum is very good at transferring heat. Also, there really isn't a whole lot of air flow up there with all the junk in the way. Maybe if you yanked the hood off but that would lead to other problems. Also, the Edelbrock LT1/4 intakes are known to lose performance over their OE counterparts due to smaller plenum volumes to accommodate their gimmick.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Edelbrock actually designed their LT1 manifold initially in 1995. I saw the prototype at their booth at the NHRA Nationals at Englishtown that year. They never put it on the market, because it had no advantages over the stocker.

They seem to have resurrected the design in the mid 2000's when the LT4 intake manifold was getting hard to find. They scooped out the "air gap" from their original design, and made LT1 and LT4 versions, apparently hoping that the "air gap" gimmick would help it sell.

I can't see it doing much, as noted in the post immediately above. As I stated earlier, measurements show the plenum volume is reduced from stock, and that can't be good for performance.

Edelbrock makes some good products, but for some reason their LTx parts all seem like dogs.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the info!!