LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 bogs under acceleration

Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Unhappy LT1 bogs under acceleration

Hey guys i am new to this website. Been on it bunch of times reading posts etc.. Now i need help. Hopefully all the knowledge i see on this website can help me zero in on my problem.

So my problem is my 1993 z28 camaro bogs under acceleration. It doesn't bog if i am easy with it but i mean EASY. Once i get to not even 1/2 inch down on the pedal it almost sounds like im in a lower gear. But i know im not. The only other thing is if i get on it. It bogs heavy then suddenly at 2.5-3k rpm ish picks up and feels as if its missing slightly.

Now to answer all questions you will have. First the O2 sensors are new and connected fine. The ignition module is new Just replaced today (AC delco) The coil is MSD.. and i have already had it tested to make sure its good. The plugs are brand new NGK. The wires are off brand 7mm. And there are no burns or cracks also new. The opti spark is from Ebay
AIP is the company also brand new. ( i have already called the techs and they tell me its fine but i know thats not always true).

NO Codes: i was getting a 36 code with is the high res opti code.. but after i replaced the already replaced advanced autoparts ignition module with the AC delco one it went away.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Re: LT1 bogs under acceleration

Did you do all the stuff to the car because it was having a problem? You should add a signature listing all the mods to the vehicle to better help you. Have you checked fuel pressure? Changed the fuel filter lately? Maybe double check to make sure the plug wires are all snug. Just a few things that are cheap and easy.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Knock sensor could be pulling timing.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Check fuel pressure under WOT first...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Yes i forgot to say i already changed fuel filter and fuel pressure is good. Idles at what its suppose to and raises while i pull the throttle. The problem isn't when it is sitting, its just when i am driving it down the road under normal load.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Also sorry forgot to explain a little more. My problem started around a year ago. All of the sudden too! My car would shut off at lights randomly when it was idling. I thought i might have to do with my MSD box that i had on it at the time. Because it would really pull on my battery so i was getting jumped a lot at the time. I changed O2s out so many times thinking that might be it but it didn't fix the problem. And on top of that when it did shut off it wouldn't start until it cooled back down 15min-30 even longer sometimes. Then it got to the point where it was stumbling and bogging out all the time and it didn't matter whether or not the motor was at normal running temp or i just started it. So that led me to believe that it was my opti spark. I have been told if you hook up any regular opti with an MSD ignition box it will ruin the opti spark. So that made since to me at the time. I got another opti off of ebay 100 buck.. i know i know AC delco all the way but i don't have 500 bucks to throw down all at once. Anyways i put the new opti on and it didnt help same situation and really worse for that matter. So thats when i started to change out everything once by one. I replaced the ignition module with a advanced auto parts brand... did not help i also had my MSD ignition coil tested it was working fine but i replaced it with an off brand ignition coil also just in case. Then i changed wires and plugs. The plugs were drowned in fuel. also changed fuel filter out checked fuel pressure and even put fuel stabilizer and fresh gas in for the heck of it. Still didnt fix the problem.I had quite a few people tell with the spark plugs drowning in fuel thought it was the ignition module so i just today got a AC delco ignition module instead of the OFF brand and it helped some what but thats where i am now.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Its been years, but I remember some people installed the opti the wrong way and it caused all sorts of problems. Not sure thats what you did, but its always a possibility. I have also heard a plugged cat or mufler can cause serious problems. Sounds like you have thrown lots of news parts without much luck. I did the same thing to mine. The best part is I have all the old ones that worked just fine, so I can put them back on to test, if I ever suspect anything. Plus I can move forward to something else. The new parts never hurt if they have lots of miles on the old ones. Of course thats means most maintenance items and not just throwing any new part at it. You never said what has been done and if the car is still stock. I tried to help someone and after 3 days they said they put bigger injectors on the car and never had it tuned, so it was screwing things up. Just an idea

Last edited by mrmint69; 06-16-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: needed space
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Oh ok sorry It has pace setter LT's and ORY . Hyer tech chip with 160 thermostat. moroso intake and crt smooth below elbow , air foil, Throttle body byepass tube. LS1 drive shaft. lowering springs and struts and a pulley kit.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM

I could be WAY off here, but from my experience with NGK's in lt-1, didnt go so well. I ran NGK's in my camaro for about 2 days. Car ran fine then started mis firing and bogging when i got on it. But it misfired at an idle, and u said yours idles fine? I also had a check engine light due to the misfire, do you? I changed plugs to a/c delcos and have been running fine since. Just a thought. I could be way off though.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mgbadboyz
I could be WAY off here, but from my experience with NGK's in lt-1, didnt go so well. I ran NGK's in my camaro for about 2 days. Car ran fine then started mis firing and bogging when i got on it. But it misfired at an idle, and u said yours idles fine? I also had a check engine light due to the misfire, do you? I changed plugs to a/c delcos and have been running fine since. Just a thought. I could be way off though.
Certainly the exception. I suspect more people run NGK plugs here than any other brand, and in more than 10 years I've never heard anyone complain about them. I ran them for more than 2 years with my original motor, and no problems at all.

Also, no misfire detection on a 95, so you can't have a code for "misfire", nor can he, since he has a 93.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Well according to march man, which is the school i attended for auto tech, my teacher told me the code was for a misfire. we replaced my plugs and it was done with. But guess he was wrong? and just got lucky?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 PM

no it idles great .. Kinda wierd though now that i put the Ac delco ignition module on it ran fine down the sttreet took off with good power etc.. turned around came home and turned it off to do last minute checks for lose wires etc. then i started it took it down the road and it went back to boging really bad and at WOT lot of resistance and some misfire. I am now getting a 36 code meanign high or low pulse from distributer ????
Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 PM

With the code 36,sounds like the opti is on it way out..Did you check the opti harness?Is it in good shape,does it feel brittle?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mgbadboyz
Well according to march man, which is the school i attended for auto tech, my teacher told me the code was for a misfire. we replaced my plugs and it was done with. But guess he was wrong? and just got lucky?
Here's the code list specifically for the OBD-I (93-95) LT1. Find a code that indicates a misfire:

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm

Misfire detection was added in OBD-II in the 1996 model. To do that, they had to add a crankshaft position sensor. The PCM monitors the irregularites of the rotational velocity of the crank, comparing those irregularities to the known pattern for an engine without a misfire.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 AM

When you clog a cat it will hit an RPM wall. FYI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 bogs under acceleration