LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Looking To Get CamShaft, also do I need to program?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Looking To Get CamShaft, also do I need to program?

Hey guys;

I'm looking to get a camshaft for my 93. I still have no idea what to get and don't know much about cams. I have stock heads, bottom end, etc. I basically just have bolt ons, (cat back, cold air, 1.6 rockers, etc) I'm not sure where to get a cam or what to look for. I only drive it on weekends, and want something pretty mild, not loppy, and somewhat smooth idle.

In getting a cam, do you also need to program your ECM? I have a hypertech chip from way back in the day, and havn't done anything beyond that.

Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Re: Looking To Get CamShaft, also do I need to program?

Originally Posted by havoq
Hey guys;

I'm looking to get a camshaft for my 93. I still have no idea what to get and don't know much about cams. I have stock heads, bottom end, etc. I basically just have bolt ons, (cat back, cold air, 1.6 rockers, etc) I'm not sure where to get a cam or what to look for. I only drive it on weekends, and want something pretty mild, not loppy, and somewhat smooth idle.

In getting a cam, do you also need to program your ECM? I have a hypertech chip from way back in the day, and havn't done anything beyond that.

Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance
You will certainly need to have the ECM reprogrammed.

For the cam, there are several smaller grinds that will suit your needs. AI and LE both sell terrific semi-custom grinds listed on their webpage. Since your requirements are fairly docile, you could also roll with the CC305. (Un)fortunately there's TONS of info available, but I'd start with AI/LE.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You will certainly need to have the ECM reprogrammed.

For the cam, there are several smaller grinds that will suit your needs. AI and LE both sell terrific semi-custom grinds listed on their webpage. Since your requirements are fairly docile, you could also roll with the CC305. (Un)fortunately there's TONS of info available, but I'd start with AI/LE.
AI/LE meaning what again? Do they reprogram as well? Can you even reprogram a hypertech chip? Sounds like this is going to get costly
Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM

AI/LE meaning what again? Do they reprogram as well? Can you even reprogram a hypertech chip? Sounds like this is going to get costly
www.advancedinduction.com

www.elliottsportworks.com

They are two vendors that are well-versed in LT1-specific performance. They do not reprogram ECMs, but there are several aftermarket companies that do. Do a search for PCMforless, Ed Wright, Fastchips, Madz28, etc.

A cam install is certainly not a "budget" endeavor. Plan on allocating right around $1000 minimum to be done properly.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Well on Ed's site, it says about $150 for tuning. THen you gotta figure what... 320ish on a cam? Plus install? So maybe 5-600?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Well on Ed's site, it says about $150 for tuning. THen you gotta figure what... 320ish on a cam? Plus install? So maybe 5-600?
You have to consider lifters, rockers, pushrods, maybe guideplates. One thing usually leads to another. The whole thing is a lot more than "just a cam".
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM

You should consider full bolt-on's first, headers, gear, real tune and a stall aren't mentioned and are recommended prior to the cam change also.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM

well I already have rockers and springs. 1.6 actually. I have headers, Y pipe etc. I don't really want a gear. So really I'm technically ready for a cam I think personally. Just wasn't sure about tuning, etc or why its needed. I'm assuming so I don't stall or use god awful amounts of fuel, etc...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 AM

I found this that works with aftermarket chip & upgraded exhaust which is what I have
http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=LTCAMSXE