LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Longtube headers OBD I vs OBD II question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Longtube headers OBD I vs OBD II question

Hey guys,

Someone is selling coated hooker super-comp headers with smog hooks ups in the for sale section. He said they are for 96-97 but is unsure of why they are specified for those years rather than all LT-1s. I am also unsure of the difference. Can anyone explain this for me, will these fit my 1995 or is there some OBD-II emissions thing going on that I'm unaware of. also, there is a discussion in the post about what brand headers they are and I was wondering if anyone can clarify that they are correct in what they concluded. If so, these are the same headers that I have on my car except mine are rusted to the point that they are broken. help on this would be great, thanks. Post is below.

HALF PRICE 93-97 F-Body JET HOT (HOOKER) Longtubes. Ceramic Coated, SMOG legal. NEW! - LS1TECH

And this is by no means a call out thread. He just seems unsure and I figured I would get a faster answer here. Don't want to miss these bad boys if they are legit. Don't you dare overbid me! haha

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Re: Longtube headers OBD I vs OBD II question

They have the two AIR connections, the one EGR connection and the two pre-cat O2 sensor bungs. The only difference between a 94/95 and the 96/97 would be the size of the connections for the AIR pipes. But these headers appear to have external threads for the connections, so they need adapters to connect to the stock AIR piping, which also has male threads.

He advertises them as "smog legal", but technically they cannot be, since Federal law prohibits relocation of the cats, and these obviously relocate the driver side cat that bolts directly to the stock manifold. That's why long tubes cannot be legal for 96/97. Just a matter of what laws your locale enforces.

These headers are "smog equipped", but not "smog legal". There is no way they could be given the CARB-EO tag/number.

The other difference on the 96/97 exhaust is the after-cat O2 sensors, but they would only be a factor if the headers included a catted Y-pipe, and these do not. The location of the intermediate pipe connection to the Y-pipe is also different 93-95 vs. 96/97, but with no Y-pipe, that is not an issue either.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks man you were exactly who I was hoping would see this. I currently have Hooker headers with all of these connections on them (attached are some pictures I just snapped). Basically I was hoping these would be an easy replacement for the rusted out pair I have in the car now. I just wasnt sure if there was an extra hole somewhere in these for some other fitting. I know I have two o2 sensor bungs and the two AIR connector tubes that look pretty similar to what is shown in his ad. I can't tell if I have the EGR connection but I'm 98% sure it does because Im 98% sure I still have EGR (this work was done before I owned it). I'm not particularly concerned about smog legal because I just registered the car classic.

Do you think this would be an easy swap out and reconnect? I assume I may have to work the AIR connections a little bit but I don't think it would be that hard. Or have some connections been moved that might make this impossible?

Name:  GI03J2v.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  720.5 KB

Name:  xnxSXey.jpg
Size:  734.2 KB

Name:  bXnMJuk.jpg
Size:  720.5 KB
Old 05-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Administrator

That passenger side AIR hookup looks a bit different on the ones in the Craigs List ad.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Yea, you know what I was thinking? These are a pretty good price. If I would have to modify the fittings, couldn't I in theory just hack them off and weld a plate over the holes and just delete AIR and EGR? It would still be 200+ cheaper than buying new coated hooker headers anyways. Do you think that would work or should I just save my money and go for new headers later?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Administrator

If you cut and weld, you will destroy the coating in the area of the weld. My factory coated AS&M's had an EGT bung welded on #7 by the previous owner, and there is a small ring of rust around the bung. On the other hand, the headers are 16 years old and in decent shape.