LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

leaning out when i accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:30 PM

leaning out when i accelerate

Seems like my car is leaning out when i accelerate to part throttle from cruising. Itl just barely stumble, you normally wouldn't notice it unless you looked for it. I'm wondering what could be causing that.

I just put a new catalytic convertor in it since the old one plugged up. My OEM intake elbow was torn, so i just replaced it with a trick flow forced induction one. I found a TB vacume hose that was dry rotted and replaor 6ced that.

However, it still feels like it doesn't have the instant torque it should have when accelerating. I remember when i first got the car, if you tried to acclerate in 4th, 5th, or 6th, at lower rpm the tranny would make that loud rattling noise, now it barely does it.

It seems to run better in open loop, but i'm not sure when teh car goes into closed loop exactly (like where exactly my temp gauge would have to be before it goes into closed loop). It may still do it in open loop, but not as bad.

Likely culprits? o2 sensors? fuel filter? map sensor?

I was thinkn about unpluggin the o2 sensors and seeing how it runs after it gets warm. I'll eyeball the fuel filter as well to see how old or new it looks. wish i could drive around with a fuel pressure gauge in my lap

I just got this car on halloween. So i'm not familier with how these cars are supposed to run. Cruising at like 10mph and flooring it doesn't really break the tires loose. It doesn't seem all that easy to do it.

Anyways the car is a:

1995 trans am 6-speed
120k miles
all stock except for rear lower control arms, trick flow intake elbow, panhard rod, strut tower brace, shifter.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:06 AM

Re: leaning out when i accelerate

tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield, not your lap, but lots safer