LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

K&N, AEM, Fram air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 AM

K&N, AEM, Fram air filters?

Im in the market for a new air filter for my 94Z and have in years past replaced with fram. While looking for prices on line I came across advertisements for K&N and AEM. Both are much more expensive but advertise better gas mileage, horsepower and longevity. Is there any merit to these claims and if replaced with K&N or AEM would it interfere with computer emission readings as stated in one of the threads I read on another web site?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Re: K&N, AEM, Fram air filters?

Doubt you would see any measurable increase in fuel mileage. A relatively small HP increase. One thing to put it on a stock engine, another thing to use it in a 500+ HP setup.

Long life... K&N is guaranteed for 1,000,000 miles. Suggested cleaning interval under normal use is 50,000 miles, which corresponds to 20 cleanings in 1,000,000 miles. The more you clean it, the faster it wears out.

The only problem I've seen reported is people over-oiling the filter gauze after cleaning, and getting an oil film buildup on the MAF sensor wires, which affects the calibration of the meter. But if you clean and oil it correctly, you shouldn't have that problem.

Even better than replacing the panel filter in the stock location - get a cold air intake that relocates a cone filter to the driver's fender, pulling in cold air. Real HP gains (~10HP) from that.

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-18-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by kksi
Im in the market for a new air filter for my 94Z and have in years past replaced with fram. While looking for prices on line I came across advertisements for K&N and AEM. Both are much more expensive but advertise better gas mileage, horsepower and longevity. Is there any merit to these claims and if replaced with K&N or AEM would it interfere with computer emission readings as stated in one of the threads I read on another web site?
Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM, a K+N or AEM filter will not increase fuel economy on a modern fuel injected car. It will on a carburated car but only if you are replacing a restricted filter on that carburated car. It will also not increase horsepower unless you have modified the engine to make the throttle body larger and flow more air through the intake than stock. What they will do is allow more dirt into your engine than a brand name paper media filter. Look up the air filter test on the GMC truck forum, they paid an independent lab to test paper and "hi flow" washable filters. Every brand of washable filter allowed considerably more dirt into the engine
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM

ok thank you. I did go with Fram
Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by motorking
Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM, ..... It will also not increase horsepower unless you have modified the engine to make the throttle body larger and flow more air through the intake than stock.....
Anything single component that reduces pressure loss in the intake tract will increase HP. Less pressure loss = denser air charge = the ability to burn more fuel = more energy to convert to mechanical power. Simply a matter of degree.... the greater volume of air the engine is capable of ingesting, the greater the benefit of increased density/increased mass.... basic engineering. Won't see much on a stock engine, but that fact that is has not been modified does not mean a lower pressure drop filter won't increased HP to some degree.

Amazed that a "tech manager" from FRAM would make a misleading statement like that. Might lead you to question the validity of the rest of his post.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM

I made the decision before I read his post. $9 vs $48 was the main reason. Not really interested in getting a few more horse power , just engine protection. Thanks for your post