LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Issues after spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Issues after spark plug change

So I decided to finally change plugs and wires after putting it off for a lil bit. Knowing how much of a nightmare I heard it could be. I decided to start with the plugs and go from there. Driver side was fairly simple. Got them done within 15-20 minutes. Passenger side was of course the nightmare. 4, 6, and 8 were not bad. But the dreaded #2 was a PITA to put it lightly. It too me longer to change that one plug than the rest of them combined. Finally got them all changed. Anyway, started up great and took it for a drive. It has never ran better than it did on that drive. Idled smoother, pulled harder, it was great. Then I felt it drop a cylinder, then another one. I limped it back home( I was just right down the road thank god) and noticed that when I shut it off there was smoke from the passenger side. I figured I melted a few plug wires as I have heard you have to be careful when messing with them and moving them around. Turned out that the #8 plug wire had fallen off and #2 was still on but just barely. The smoke from what I can tell was coming from the cat, I suppose from all the raw unburned gas igniting in the cat. After it cooled off I put the plug wires back on and made sure they clicked in place, started it up and its been running rough ever since. I doesn't seem like its dropped a cylinder completely but just runs very rough. I went ahead and replaced the 2 spark plugs assuming they might be fuel fouled and its still running rough. My question is what could be the issue? Could one of the wires that was loose be shorted out or is that even possible? I did a scan just idling in the driveway with a few revs. I didn't want to hurt it by driving it. I already have new plug wires to put on and tend to as soon as I have the time since I know that's gonna be a half day chore. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/qw639b...P0S2209132.csv
Old 06-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Re: Issues after spark plug change

Did you test continuity on the suspect wires?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Not yet but if its possible to short a wire out then i sure will. Whats the procedure for that. I dont have too much experience with multi meters.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Did you check the wires on the driver's side to make sure they were securely on the plugs? When #8 fell off, did it end up resting against the exhaust system?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 PM

Yeah i checked the drivers side to make sure. And as for #8 when i found it ,it was laying straight down by itself. I tried to check it for any sign of laying against the exhaust but couldnt find anything wrong as far as i could tell. Im gonna see if i can do the wires tomorrow or at least get a good start on it. I already have a new set of ac delcos ready to go.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I doubt if this is causing your problems, but the voltage looks a bit low (11-12v) as if the alternator isn't working well or the battery is very weak.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jayblev95
Not yet but if its possible to short a wire out then i sure will. Whats the procedure for that. I dont have too much experience with multi meters.
End to end test on the ohm setting. Compare several wires to get an idea of how many ohms per foot your wires are.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Administrator

The long term fuel correction on Bank1 (driver's side) is elevated to 147 in the idle cell. That's where your perceived roughness would appear to be coming from. You have to focus on the possibility of a misfire due to a loose, burned or damaged wire, or possibly a loose plug or cracked plug porcelain.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:39 AM

I will check the driver side out. Thanks again for the info. As for the voltage im pretty sure the previous owner put an underdrive pulley on the alternator. I cant stand it so im gonna see if i can change the pulley out aftet i get the alternator checked out to make sure its just not a bad one.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:33 PM

Injuneer u were right. Started looking more closely on the driver side and behold #7 had a small burn spot right next to the exhaust. Replaced it and it runs like a top. Had to go underneath to finally see it. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Every once in a while I get one right.....