LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Interested in upgrading engine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Interested in upgrading engine.

Hello i am looking to create some HP to race somebody i know. I live in michigan and am looking to maybe send in my 350 LT1 to be made into a 383 stroker. Any estimates on how much this would cost? Could a guy have this done my somewhere like NAPA or is this something that would need to be looked into by some specialties shop itself. If not possible what bolt-ons work best. I need to beat 340HP.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Re: Interested in upgrading engine.

What kind of HP are you looking for? You can make up to 500 flywheel HP with a 350 - ported stock heads, cam, cold air intake, long tube headers, larger throttle body, larger injectors and a PCM tune. Above that, the 383 might be needed.

How many miles on your LT1? What trans? What rear axle? Do you have any modifications at this point?

You want to "beat 340 HP". What is the weight of the particular car that has 340 HP, because that play a big part in how fast the opponent will be?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by GravesZ28
Could a guy have this done my somewhere like NAPA or is this something that would need to be looked into by some specialties shop itself. .
performance engine build is not what "NAPA" would do.

Assuming this other car with 340 hp weighs the same as your car than a good set of heads and cam from someone like Lloyd Elliott, larger injectors (30 lb) and Throttle Body (52mm) headers and a tune, as mentioned, would easily get you past 340 "rear" wheel HP

If you don't have the skills and or tools to do this kind of work yourself...you will need to find a performance automotive shop....and that can get very exspensive
Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 PM

I do have a quite abit of experience i just finished putting in new head gaskets. I would like to next fall send in the engine to be done but for now i will have to be on a tight budget. Would porting , new headers, and a shift kit get me were i need to be. I would install a cam but that is quite expensive because of having to replace springs and what not. I looked and the full cam kits are like 700$ I am looking to spend a total of around 900$
Old 02-10-2017, 04:38 PM

It is all stock except no catalytic converter. Has 460Le automatic transmission. Car i am racing is relatively the same weight. 112,000 miles. I worked my heart out for the car as it is at this point.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:05 PM

Have a cold air intake already how much HP do you think that added?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:09 PM

$900 starting with a stock LT1 that makes about 225 REAR wheel HP.....well if this other car has 340 HP to the rear wheels $900 is tough to make enough power to at least be = in rear wheel power output

your only mod of a cold air intake maybe added 10 HP....if that

A PCM tune alone is around $200-$350 (mail order) so with $600-$700 left you could get a cam, something like a Comp 503 and Howards valve springs but you would still be under 340 HP to the wheels and likely under 300 at the wheels.

Your budget is to short to really get the power you are trying to match (assuming we are talking "rear wheel" HP). Also more HP but stock rear gears and TC stall ...you won't get as much benefit out of engine HP increases.

A mild cam, ported heads, springs, 1:6 RR, injectors and a tune will easily get you 350 RWHP.....just not for $900
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 PM

Ok so obviously for that HP im looking at around 1600$
Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Power comes at a price and I realize that so just probing with the pros to see were my faith should lie with my eventual upgrades.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 PM

He told you he had 340 HP, but who says he is telling you what he really has. Could be 440 or 540 HP, everybody doesn't tell the truth !

There is always someone who is going to be faster. Are you sure it is worth putting the money into it for one race. Why don't you race him anyhow. So what if you lose. You also need to consider rear end gearing, tires, and more. Your driving ability and his. Reaction time from the start, and shifting knowledge and skill.

When I used to street race back in the late 60's with my 68 RoadRunner, I beat a lot of cars that should have beat me just because the other guy didn't know how to drive their car well enough. But sometimes I got beat - I didn't like it, but oh well, life goes on.

Anyhow, best of luck to you know matter what you decide. Dont' forget to consider the mileage on your car and how hard it may have previously been driven when you decide what upgrades should be considered.

If you tell more about your car in your Signature, the guys here will be able to help you more.

Last edited by gaedbo; 02-11-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

There's always nitrous...

What can you tell us about the 340hp car you'll be racing? Year, make, model, mods? And what can you tell us about the race itself? What kind of race, and how long? On a track or the street? What's your experience with this sort of racing? What's his?

Depending on the answers, the right answer might be a high-stall converter, gears, and sticky tires rather than power mods.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Well here is the full story. I last year bought my first car. I am stubborn and know what I want so I purchased my 1994 z28 for 3000. Everything is stock except cosmetics and the catalytic converter was removed. While going to school I met a good friend who is a substitute teacher me and him played trumpet in marching band for our school and what not. The race is not about humiliation or winning just for fun. He has a corvette c4. Has everything geared more towards high end. He spent a lot of time on his car throughout the years and is a Vietnam vet. I do have experience with racing techniques because of snowmobile and dirtbike history. I have been driving for quite some time with a lot of performance stuff. Everything is paid for that is why my budget is low.the race will just be on open road after a clearing and where we will know there will be no coppers.his transmission is automatic as well as mine. He has ported heads and performance pipes. I hear he has a large advantage because of tuned port injection.everything else for him I believe is just cosmetics. No tricks up his cleave because I've seen his engine.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:59 AM

Heck, just go run your friend and have some fun. He has an advantage because he has more horsepower and less weight. I would expect him to win. See if you still want to spend the money after you race, it might change your mind, or maybe you will for sure want to proceed with upgrading.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Administrator

A C4 Corvette can have one of two engines.... 84-91 = 250 HP L98 (Gen 1) SBC with very good torque, but weak high end (some lower HP variations in the earlier years); 92-96 = 300 HP LT1 (Gen 2) SBC that is identical to the engine in your Z28, but has a better intake and exhaust. Ported heads on an LT1 can produce anywhere from 350 - 500 HP.

Is he talking 340 HP at the flywheel, or at the rear wheels - two significantly different things?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Has lt1 340 at fly.