LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ignition problem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Ignition problem HELP!

I have a 93 z28 and wen I go to stsrt my car I dont need the key to turn ignition from lock howcome I dont need key to start my car? Help Please!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 PM

Re: Ignition problem HELP!

Originally Posted by Dzmaro
I have a 93 z28 and wen I go to stsrt my car I dont need the key to turn ignition from lock howcome I dont need key to start my car? Help Please!
Damn I never heard of that before,so your saying the ignition turns without a key being inserted to start the car am I correct?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 PM

Yes car will start n run fine.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Any ideas why??
Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Ignition key cylinder broken, and PASS-Key resistor (securiry system) bypassed.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 PM

What will I have to do 2 fix this problem? If it was broken would the key still be able to go in and work is this whats causing my car to randomly shutoff too you think??
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 PM

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dzmaro
Any help would be appreciated.
I'm shootin in the dark here(you have no sig)but do you have an after market alarm system installed?Might cause some issues but I dunno.My02.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 AM

Angry Re: Ignition problem HELP!

Nope no aftermarket alarm. Im stuck
Old 01-24-2015, 12:57 AM

Have you had any starter or alternator work done recently?Can you give some history of the car.I think it could be the ignition switch that you put the key in could have gone south.I'm not a mechanic,but I got a recall on my saturn vue for a free ignition switch replacement but just use a new key for now.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Administrator

The key inserts in a lock cylinder.... not the ignition switch. The actual switch is further down the steering column, and operated by a rod that connects to the key cylinder. It is possible that someone removed the small plates that the key surface slides to position them so the lock can be turned. In that case, the key would insert fine, and the key would turn freely.

If the cylinder is broken or has been intentionally altered, there is a possibility that it does not hold the rod for the ignition switch in the correct position all the time, causing the switch to shut the car down. Is your ignition key on a heavy ring, with a lot of other key hanging down and swinging? (Could be related to the Saturn problem - see below, but only because the key cylinder is broken, not related to the recall).

When the engine shuts off, does everything that is controlled by the ignition switch shut down - engine, dash, radio, etc.?

The Saturn recall is specific to GM's problem with a faulty spring in the lock cylinder, that allows the weight of a heavy key ring to turn the key to "off", shutting down the engine. This has caused multiple deaths, and applies to many different GM vehicles, but so far, not the 4th Gen Camaro, that I am aware of.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Only have a couple keys on key ring so probably not that. And when the car shuts off the dash gauges stay on, no radio jn car. Just dont understand when I turn the lock the security light co es kn and goes away after 3 or 4 secs like if everythings normal and then start the car with no key? Makes no sense
Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Administrator

You keep sayng you are starting the car with no key. But then you said "If it was broken would the key still be able to go in and work". Are you inserting the key in the lock to turn the cylinder, or are you using some other device.

I tried to explain:

The key will turn the lock, or you can turn the lock without a key, if the little plates that move up and down with the cuts on the key have been removed or have been broken off by force.

The engine will start without the key, it someone has used a resistor to bypass the security system. In that case, the "SECURITY" light would come on briefly when the ignition switch was turned to "run", and then go out after a couple seconds, because the security system saw the correct key resistance, provided by the bypass resistor.

Not sure if it can be explained any clearer than that.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The key inserts in a lock cylinder.... not the ignition switch. The actual switch is further down the steering column, and operated by a rod that connects to the key cylinder. It is possible that someone removed the small plates that the key surface slides to position them so the lock can be turned. In that case, the key would insert fine, and the key would turn freely.

If the cylinder is broken or has been intentionally altered, there is a possibility that it does not hold the rod for the ignition switch in the correct position all the time, causing the switch to shut the car down. Is your ignition key on a heavy ring, with a lot of other key hanging down and swinging? (Could be related to the Saturn problem - see below, but only because the key cylinder is broken, not related to the recall).

When the engine shuts off, does everything that is controlled by the ignition switch shut down - engine, dash, radio, etc.?

The Saturn recall is specific to GM's problem with a faulty spring in the lock cylinder, that allows the weight of a heavy key ring to turn the key to "off", shutting down the engine. This has caused multiple deaths, and applies to many different GM vehicles, but so far, not the 4th Gen Camaro, that I am aware of.
Many thanks on the saturn thing.My original key was really worn down.I never notice it until one day last summer I could pull the key out half way turning off the car.And it was still running.I used my new second key and it is tight.But I'll go in and get the recall done.My first key was worn down really bad,never noticed it.Many thanks again.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:45 AM

Ok what I was saying was ive been using the key to start my car, but the other day I noticed that I could turn the key cylinder without the key and start the car. So all I need to do is replace the ignition key cylinder and not worry about the resistor bypass? Sorry if I wasnt explaining things correctly.

Quick Reply: Ignition problem HELP!