LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ignition Fuse??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 09:51 PM

Ignition Fuse??

What can cause an ignition fuse to blow? I had my car up and die on me and it blew the ignition fuse. I replaced the opti (stock w/132,000) cuz I thought that might have been the reason. Every since I put it back together, the thing hasnt ran right. Could I have a wire grounding somewhere? What could have caused this??

Thanks,
Benji
Old 10-17-2004, 09:59 PM

Re: Ignition Fuse??

Yeah, a wire grounding out or a bad component. The opti is not powered by the ignition fuse, so you found out you wasted your time, there. Might have been a good idea to look in the owner's manual to see what the fuse powers before randomly changing stuff.

The coil, ICM and electrical power to all the auto transmission components are on that fuse. Don't know if you have an auto, since your post does not provide that info.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:18 PM

I didnt replace the opti because the fuse blew. I replaced it because when my car died, I lost all spark and fuel, and I was told the opti does that when it goes. I didnt waste the money because the one I pulled off was bound to go soon (i spun it when I pulled it off, and it was making crunching sounds). But I tried to fire it up when I got it back together and it still wasnt sparking or spraying fuel. So, I just was fiddleing with stuff and found that fuse was blown. I replaced and the car fired up, but ran horribly. Now I can't even get it to start. I think the pugs are gas fouled; the program in the car now is rich as hell. I do have an auto, but just wanted to figure out why the thing blew the fuse and why it wont run now. Oh yeah, I was getting an Electronic Spark Control code before it died on me, if that helps.

Thanks,
Benji
Old 10-18-2004, 10:05 PM

I just had this same problem. Mine ended up being the crankshaft position sensor wire in the wire loom on the passenger side inner fender between 2 and 4 primaries. the header had melted through the heat resistant tape and wireloom and the wire and shorted out on the header. it was hard to see from most angles but i eventually found it. Most likely if you have headers...its something shorting out on the header. i will never get uncoated headers again.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:55 AM

Sweetred doesn't have a crank sensor. 96 and higher does. I do see where you have been spraying the giggle gas.

Which code number are you refering to as spark control? Code 16 shuts down spark and fuel. Codes 41 and 42 shut down fuel and they have an effect on spark obviously. None of the 3 codes will turn on the SES light.

Code 16 deals with the low resolution signal from the opti where code 41 and 42 deal with either the IC signal being open or shorted to ground. You should pull all the connectors for the ignition, coil, ICM, opti and PCM and check for loose, bent or corroded connections.

Check the following with an ohm meter and the PCM connector and ICM connector off for continuity. PCM black connector pin B5 white wire to ICM connector.

PCM black connector pin B2 Red/black wire to opti pin A. PCM black connector pin B3 Pink/black wire to opti pin D. PCM black connnector pin B20 purple/white wire to opti pin B and last PCM black connector pin B14 Red wire to opti pin C.

Also check with a volt meter on the pink/black wire to see that it is grounded with the connector attached and power on. And check the red wire to see that it has voltage on it.

Hope that helps
Dave
Old 10-20-2004, 10:42 AM

I'll try that stuff. I'm away at college, so I don't get a whole lot of time to work on it. But the code I was getting before ESC, was on while the car was running good still. This was just a code that was being thrown because of knock retard @ idle (open headers) I think. After that, I don't know of any codes it threw, because it wouldn't start. I did notice that the silver heat stuff around my wiring harness from the computer had gotten burned through by the headers. I can't tell if anything else is burnt through or not (tight spot). But could that have caused an ignition fuse to blow and could possibly be keeping my car from running right?

Benji
Old 10-20-2004, 11:40 AM

a wire behind that silver heat tape that melted is probably shorting out on the header. i couldnt see a bare wire on mine until i pulled that whole bunch of wires out and took a good look at it.