LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I don't have a camaro...but I do have an F-body T/A,and a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:53 AM

I don't have a camaro...but I do have an F-body T/A,and a question

I would imagine that a lot of the members here are also members of other boards...with that being said, I can't seem to register at LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

It asks the question "What distributor is used on a 5.7L LT1 from 1995?"

I know my F-body has an optispark, but I guess that's not the correct answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Re: I don't have a camaro...but I do have an F-body T/A,and a question

Vented optispark?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:23 PM

The 95 96 and 97 cars have a pin drive vented optispark. 93-94 have a spline drive nonvented optispark.

Does that help?
Old 11-13-2016, 09:14 AM

The odd thing is, I know it's an optispark. I don't know if they have a flaw in their system, or what's going on. I've replaced an opti in the car, as well as on a K-member drop...I personally hate the optispark, but when it runs right, and I don't have problems with it, I just ignore my hatred for it.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I'm really not sure what your question is at this point. Are you commenting on the advice you are getting from another site, asking for our help, or just venting? Unclear. Who is "they"? What is the reference to "a K-member drop"?

If you have a specific problem with the way your engine runs, list the symptoms. Describe what you have done to try and resolve the problem. Make sure you list any modifications to the engine. All too often, the immediate response is "it's the Opti". Many times it isn't, but it's an easy answer for someone to throw out on a bulletin board.

Also, please read this:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 11-13-2016, 10:43 AM

I was simply looking for help with getting registered for another site. The optispark on the car is fine with no issue.

K-member drop: that's taking the motor and transmission out by releasing the front K-member from the car, and jacking the car up from the suspension and motor. (Like a dragster "funny car"

I'm not trying to upset anyone...I just figured that people were members of several forums, so I was trying to see if anyone had an idea about the other site referenced in the original post.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Administrator

OK.... so all you were asking with your original post, which you put in the "New Member Introduction", and I had to move, was how to meet the registration requirements of another site?

I know how to "drop" the engine, but with what you wrote, it appeared that you were tying that somehow into your hate for the Opti.

Very confusing.

Actually, I went back to your earlier posts, and you indicate you have a very rare 1995 Comp T/A, but you are pulling the original engine out of it to put in a "rock crawler"? Is that correct?
Old 11-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
OK.... so all you were asking with your original post, which you put in the "New Member Introduction", and I had to move, was how to meet the registration requirements of another site?

I know how to "drop" the engine, but with what you wrote, it appeared that you were tying that somehow into your hate for the Opti.

Very confusing.

Actually, I went back to your earlier posts, and you indicate you have a very rare 1995 Comp T/A, but you are pulling the original engine out of it to put in a "rock crawler"? Is that correct?
The Comp T/A Is built and running reasonably well. I had a problem with the oil pressure sensing unit, but I replaced it yesterday.

The rock crawler is going to to get a 5.7 LT1 from another 1995 formula firebird that I bought as a donor car. I have 2 F-bodies currently. The Comp T/A will stay intact, and the motor and transmission from the formula firebird will be transferred to a tune frame, purpose built jeep/rock crawler.