LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HVAC removal: a HowTo

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:41 PM

HVAC removal: a HowTo

Well, I couldn't find any guides on the board about removing the dash and pulling the HVAC unit, so I figured that I would just take it slow and write my own guide. I just wrote it this morning while it was fresh in my mind so there might be a couple fuzzy details. Comments and criticism appreciated!

==============================

How to pull your HVAC box (93-96 cars):

Before you start it's a good idea to remove your floor mats as well as your center console.

1. Disconnect your negative battery terminal.

2. Unplug the airbag fuse in the fuse box by the driver's side of the dash.

3. Unscrew the 3 screws at the hinge of the glove box. Open it up and squeeze the tabs to remove it completely.

4. Reach inside the dash and feel along the right side until you come across the passenger-side airbag cable. It's wrapped in yellow. Unplug it.

5. Now look at the bottom of the dash on either side of the transmission hump. You'll notice that there are plastic panels that are held up by push pins. Remove the pins and pull out the panels.

6. Go along the base of the dash, and you'll notice that it screws in to a metal rail. Unscrew these screws.

7. Unscrew the driver-side knee bolster. Make sure you remember to unhook the rear defroster button if necessary.

8. Unscrew and remove the trim panel over the stereo. It has a couple bolt-head screws on each side.

9. Unscrew the black gauge cluster shroud on the driver's side. Gently pull it away. You'll feel the headlight control panel start to pull.

10. The headlight control panel is held in place by two clips on the top. You will probably need needle-nose pliers to reach in and squeeze them. The panel will pop out. Take a moment and disconnect the actual wires, then put the panel aside.

11. The shroud should now be free. Pull it forward. To get it out you will have to tilt it forward a bit and somersault it over the steering wheel (you'll see what I mean when you get to thist step). Pull out the small ducts going to the two oblong air vents.

12. Now for the gauge cluster. First unscrew it. Once it's free, you'll notice an intimidating uber-connector on the left side. It has pinch points on the front and back. Just squeeze and firmly but slowly pull it out. Set the cluster aside somewhere that it won't get traumatized.

-------------------------------------

Now it's time to go up top. Don't start yanking just yet, there's some prep to do as well.

-------------------------------------

13. Unscrew and remove both of your a-pillar panels. On a t-top car this is pretty straightforward.

14. Now take a look at the plastic panel that's over the dash right by the windshield. It's held in by some very strong velcro. There are NO screws. Take a screwdriver and gently pry at a corner. Slowly slide the screwdriver in until you can get a couple fingers under the panel. Shake it a little and you'll hear the velcro start to give. It will take some work, but it will come out. I didn't damage the panel at all removing it.

--------------------------

Now it's time for the top of the dash. Step out of the car and take a look at it for a second through the windshield. You'll notice there are screws going into the dash from the front, but there are also ones coming in from the back.

15. Back inside the car, start unscrewing the screws at the top of the dash. Make sure you don't miss any.

16. At this point, the dash should start to feel loose when you shake it. Bring it forward just a bit. You will feel some resistance because there's still screws in the back that are holding the heater ducting to the dash. Feel around the back of the dash and undo these screws.

17. Feel around the dash and ducting for any screws you might have missed. When you're sure that you've got them all, gently try and separate the HVAC ducting from the dash. It's just as wide as the dashboard. You might need a friend to help you pull the dash out a bit while you pull the ducting straight up and out of the cabin. This will free up a ton of room behind the dash.

18. Take a second now to feel around the back of the dash. There are a bunch of random solenoids and wires that attatch to it... remove them. You may have to clip some zip ties to do this. Make sure you push back the fuse block so it's not getting yanked by the dash. Also pull the HVAC controls.

19. Pull the dash out. It's wide and awkwardly shaped... not an easy one-person job.

20. Unbolt the passenger side airbag and the steel bracket that holds it in place. Set it aside somewhere where it won't explode and kill somebody.

---------------------------

Now things get interesting. Take a moment and survey the mess you've made

The HVAC box is pretty bulky. It's held in place by a series of black 10mm screws as well as a ton of tiny brass-colored screws.

If you look at things from the engine bay you'll notice it's a similar situation... a bunch of tiny screws on the actual housing and the bigger 10mm screws holding the thing in place. A helpful hint: the plastic that you're looking at doesn't just enclose the HVAC system, it is the HVAC system. Don't try to separate it, you'll just get frustrated. Go back inside the cabin and let's start pulling this **** out...

21. From inside, unscrew and remove the passenger-side kick panel. It will make things easier later.

22. Pull back the carpet on the passenger side footwell. You will notice that there's some RTV-like goop lining the bottom of the HVAC unit, and if you feel with your fingers you'll notice that the goop is conveniently covering some of the 10mm bolts. You will have to use your fingers and pull this stuff away.

23. Unbolt every 10mm bolt in sight. Ditto for the small brass screws. Also unbolt and remove the blower fan.

24. Pull away the panel on the left side of the box. There are probably one or two screws on it, I can't remember. Behind tthis panel you'll see the heater core. Unscrew all the screws on it.

25. Go back to the engine bay. If you look at the firewall where the heater core is you'll notice a tiny brass screw sticking down vertically. Use your handy 1/4" drive ratchet to undo this bad boy.

26. If you haven't done so already, you'll want to pull the coolant hoses going to the heater core. Do this at the firewall first... you don't want to do it at the water pump and spill stuff over the opti. There won't be as much coolant as you might expect, but it's still a decent amount.

27. Now you're ready to pull out the heater core. Have a friend gently push in on the metal pipes as you pull from the inside. It should come out with little resistance. Make sure you keep the pipes angled up... there's still antifreeze in that thing.

28. Once the heater core is out of the way, you'll be able to pull away the plastic panel behind it that will expose the A/C evaporator core. Once you see it the shape of the HVAC box will suddenly make sense... "oh, so [i[that's[/i] what the A/C pipes screw into!" give yourself a pat on the back.

-------------------------

Now for the hard part. Go back out to the engine bay. You'll need to unscrew the PCM and pull it aside. You'll notice... that's right... a bunch of 10mm bolts. There's 2 on the top, then 3 (I think) on either side of it. None on the bottom. You will need to bend and twist your arms and wrists like crazy to unbolt some of these. While you're at it you'll want to take out every brass screw you can get to.

-------------------------

29. Take out the bolts and screws mentioned above. Small hands (or children) are helpful for this part.

30. Hop back in the car and have a friend give a slight push on the HVAC while you pull from inside. It will come out a couple inches before it gets caught by the cross bar for the dash.

31. Using a little bit of elbow-grease, separate the A/C evaporator from the HVAC box and pull it out. It's a little bigger than the heater core.

32. By now you've noticed that the HVAC box has a top and bottom. Check to see if there are any more screws you can take off. Then just separate the top and bottom. Once you've done that, you can pull the box out completely.

Congratulations! You're done! Take a moment to admire the back of your engine. If you've gotta replace your starter or tighten your rear header bolts, now is the time to do it... it's never gonna get easier. You'll want to get some sheet metal and make a plate to seal up the firewall. Take your time to reassemble the dash. and make sure all the electrical components are reconnected before you seal the panels up.

Any additions / changes?
Old 08-31-2003, 06:07 PM

How much did the whole system weigh? I already yanked my a/c so might as well finish up where I left off :-).
Old 10-06-2003, 05:07 PM

did you have to chage the wiring at all or does the PCM not care when you took it out?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:47 PM

PCM doesn't care...at least mine didn't .
Old 10-04-2004, 09:13 PM
CDE

Re: HVAC removal: a HowTo

Thanks for the detailed write up, you have probably saved people hours of work by writing this,
Thanks

Clint
Old 10-04-2004, 09:18 PM

what exactly does the HVAC do?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mojorisin
what exactly does the HVAC do?
Aside from

Heating
Ventilation
Air
Conditioning

not much.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 AM

i dont have the ac anymore, so im not concerned w/ it, but if i want to keep my heater, i guess i couldnt remove the hvac?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 PM

You could remove the AC, but not the HV, lol.