LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to Replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Old 05-31-2005, 04:52 PM

How to Replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Anyone able to help me out.. I'm replacing the fuel pressure regulator and would like to know step by step what I need to disconnect and how.

I've replace my injectors before but I left the rails attached. I don't have a fuel like disconnect tool... will i need one?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 PM

Re: How to Replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Yes you will need a disconnect tool.
Disconnect both lines and unbolt the fuel rails, disconnect the electrical connections to the fuel injectors. Pull the vacuum line off the regulator. Pull the rails off making sure O rings come out still attached to the injectors.
You will need a star socket to remove the FPR from the rails....not sure what size, I just use the one that fits .....and its pretty straight forward once you can get a good look at it.
Installation is the reverse of removal.......Don,t you love when the manual says that?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:13 PM

you dont have to remove the fuel lines. you can just unbolt the fuel rail and there should be enough slack to where you can turn the rails upside down and get to the fpr. one thing you might want to do when putting everything back together, is add a small amount of oil to the o-rings so everything will go together easier.

good luck
Old 05-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Administrator

I've replaced the FPR without disconnecting the line(s), and without pulling the rails. There is a single T27 Torx screw that holds it on. You do have to release the clamp that holds the two hardlines to the bracket on the end of the intake manifold.

Relieve the pressure in the lines by depressing the core of the Schrader valve (keep a rag around it, preferably when engine is cool). Unhook the vacuum compensation line. Release the bracket that holds the hard lines. Pull the clip that holds the hardline to the FPR and pull the line out of the FPR. Put a rag under the FPR..... fuel will still drain out of the rail. Unscrew the T27 screw. Gently twist the FPR until it pops out of the rail. Make sure you didn't lose any o-rings.

You can see everything in Shoebox's pic:

http://shbox.com/1/fp_reg.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 05-31-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Yes if you are short on tools it can be done that way.
I find it ALOT less frustrating by pulling the fuel rails off though.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Trust me... I'm not short on tools. Perhaps it was my shock tower brace....

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP04253a.jpg

... that made me not want to pull the rails.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Trust me... I'm not short on tools. Perhaps it was my shock tower brace....

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP04253a.jpg

... that made me not want to pull the rails.
Good point!

I did pull the rails and it was a PITA...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

To me its just easier to reach around the back of the intake and remove a single screw.... but to each his own.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM

I think I'll be doing it with the rail on the car. I do have a torx for that and am fairly used to tight spaces on this car This should be a walk in the park lol.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:11 AM

Ok need a bit more help here (I think)
I tried to do the swap today, everything was going fine until the T27 I thought i had it in my set but it apparently jumps from T25-T30. Anyhow, so i couldnt get that off (picked a T27 later that day).

The clip seems a bit tricky to get off. Any tips for how to remove it? I only tried by hand, mainly because I'm afraid of flinging it off somewhere in the engine.

Also, after hte clips off, do I unscrew anything after that? Will i need a special wrench, or is it doable by hand..

Doing this all with the rails still in, it seems easy enough to access once i get the things off.

Thanks for all the help so far
Old 06-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Do you mean the little square spring clip that holds the hard line in the regulator? That should just pull off with a pick or a small pliers. Its not going to go flying off, but you run the risk of dropping it.

Once the spring clip is off, and you've released the hard line from the "t" bracket that holds the two lines, the line can be pulled gently out of the FPR. I think there is supposed to be an o-ring on the end of the hard line.

The "t" bracket is a bit of a PITA too, because the screw head (another Torx) is facing down toward the intake manifold. But its "doable".
Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 PM

Well finally got it in. Wasn't a lot of fun either LOL.

Anyhow, I managed to get the T27 in the back off easily enough (was REALLY tight in there though). But the bracket holding hte hard lines had a T25 torx in it and it was a total pain the ****!. I have some electrical component right below that torx bolt so I couldnt fit my socket in there, not enough clearance for the head.

I lifted the rail up and out a few inches just so i could get the socket in there. Finally was able to get it out. There was an O-Ring on the hard line to the FPR which I was careful to keep on.

Anyhow, I would recommend looking at the bracket that holds the hard lines in FIRST before you decide which way to tackle it. If it looks like you can fit a socket and torx down there, great. If you can't i would highly recommend pulling the rails first.

Thanks for the help everyone