LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to reach the 11's

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I'd rather not mention names because I don't want to hurt anyones' business. I agree that I need bigger injectors but I just wanted some more professional advice and make sure that there isn't another factor that could cause the injectors to max out.
Right, got it.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Also, was curious how much that timing retard issue was hurting me.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 AM

Finally made it back to the track this past Sat. Three things I did were: 1.fixed false knock, 2.bought LCA's, 3.ran 89 octane instead of 93, and this brought me from a 12.789down to a 12.444. I was pretty happy with that. Still stock injectors and still maxing out DC below 5000 RPM's. So, next year when I finally get bigger injectors and a couple other things 11.9 should be attainable?

Oh yeah, first run of the day the car launched so hard the g-force killed the hard drive on my laptop.

Last edited by Mystery Bird; 10-19-2009 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Finally made it back to the track this past Sat. Three things I did were: 1.fixed false knock, 2.bought LCA's, 3.ran 89 octane instead of 93, and this brought me from a 12.789down to a 12.444. I was pretty happy with that. Still stock injectors and still maxing out DC below 5000 RPM's. So, next year when I finally get bigger injectors and a couple other things 11.9 should be attainable?

Oh yeah, first run of the day the car launched so hard the g-force killed the hard drive on my laptop.
Why would you go to lower octane rated fuel..especially if you had knock in the past???

Sorry about the hard drive failure due to 'lauch so hard the g-forces killed it'....I had to laugh, though. What sort of G's do you think your pulling??? Unless you have a really low 60-ft time you aren't accelrating at much over 1G to 1.5G, if I remember my old high school physics correctly.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 AM

I went with lower octane because outside temp was around mid 40's, someone told me it would burn quicker in the colder air as opposed to 93. Also, the knock was coming from a rattle that I fixed. I know it wasn't much g's but it never launched so hard, and felt great. Come on cut me some slack, this is my first year of racing don't laugh at me cause I'm excited when my car runs better don't you remember what it felt like?

I actually thought I did some internal engine damage coming back down return lane cause the laptop was knockin' so loud.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM

I went with lower octane because outside temp was around mid 40's, someone told me it would burn quicker in the colder air as opposed to 93. Also, the knock was coming from a rattle that I fixed. I know it wasn't much g's but it never launched so hard, and felt great. Come on cut me some slack, this is my first year of racing don't laugh at me cause I'm excited when my car runs better don't you remember what it felt like?

I actually thought I did some internal engine damage coming back down return lane cause the laptop was knockin' so loud.
Sorry about the G's comment....I'm glad it's running better.

I'm at a loss on the fuel recommedation. The octane rating measures a fuel's resistance to knock and isn't necessarily a measure of volatility. The lower air temperature probably allowed you to get away without detonation but I doubt the PCM added all the timing it could have. I'd recommend running the higher octane rated fuel all the time.....
Gasoline companies and components to increase fuel volatility during the winter months. This aids in cold starting as the fuel will vaporize sooner..
Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Good to here you made an improvement. Stick with the 93 octane, just like the owners manual says.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Ok, I took advice from everyone and got 34# injectors, 52mm TB, and 3.73 gears. First run of the year brought me down to a 12.1 @ 112 MPH with a 1.6 sixty on 17 inch drag radials. That's three tenths quicker than last years best. I also weighed my car with me in it for the first time...3700lbs. I have a couple other tweaks to do then off to the dyno for a tune. I think 11.9 should be within reach. Anyone disagree??
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM

Tune should get yout there. Cut some weight and mid 11's are well within reason.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Yep, you'll be there with a dyno tune. Congrats man! I can't wait to get out to the track and try to do the same this year. I still have to get some LCA's and relocation bracks before I head out. I think I'll be borrowing some slicks from a buddy until I get a set for myself. I'm still running a mail order tune. I'm actually heading down to Bryan Herter's house in the morning to get the pcm retuned for my new injectors.

Do you plan on spraying your way into the 10's this year?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

I have 77,000 miles on the stock engine so I think I'll wait to do any spray. Plus I still have the stock 10 bolt. It's been welded and the usual support stuff but it is still a 10 bolt.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM

I have 77,000 miles on the stock engine so I think I'll wait to do any spray. Plus I still have the stock 10 bolt. It's been welded and the usual support stuff but it is still a 10 bolt.
You'd be ok to spray. 77k is very very little mileage for an LT1.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Congrats on your new time. Did you take the front swaybar off?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM

what track ya runnin at man ....
Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Good deal on your improvement- amazing how so many people can be right about something...

Did you get your dyno tune yet? If not I bet that will get you the little bit of power you need to get there. Put the car on a little diet as well and you will be that much quicker.

Either make more power or have less weight- both will make you faster.

Quick Reply: How to reach the 11's