Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #1

how long does everyone let their rtv dry before drying?

while im sitting here waiting for the 24 hours that permatex recommends, i just figured i would ask how long everyone waits to drive their cars after putting rtv on something. just got done with the oil pan gasket and waiting on it to dry. ive decided that between this and the cam swap (reason for needing to change the pan gasket) i have spend more time waiting on rtv to dry than i have working on the car, its kind of funny actually
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!

11.89 @ 116 1.61 60' N/A
11.43 @ 121 1.59 60' 75 N20
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #2

Re: how long does everyone let their rtv dry before drying?

I've always heard 24 hours is needed...After that you should be good to go...Anything less and you run the risk of it not sealing properly (which means it will probably start leaking all over again at some point later on down the line). Not sure if it is necessary to go beyond that though?

Mike
Old 05-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #3

I waited over 24 hours to fire it up after getting the intake on. Its cheap insurance that you shouldnt have to pull anything back off, reclean said parts/mating surfaces. But a few hours should be ok for RTV to cure in case you're impatient.
CamaroBoy96Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to atljar

Ive always just started it up as soon as it was back together and never had problems. 24 hours is fully set, 1 hour later it should hold ok though
atljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to 97FormulaWS-6 Send a message via Yahoo to 97FormulaWS-6

Depends on the application.... if it for sealing a gasket, I typically fire ir right up...

If I'm MAKING a gasket with RTV, then I let it cure fully first; especially important with the Intake Gasket on the LT1 motors...

An engineer needs a wife and a mistress. That way the wife thinks he's with the mistress, the mistress thinks he's with the wife, and he can go to the lab and get some work done!
97FormulaWS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:20 PM   #6

I put some on yesterday for my oil pan gasket(I ripped it ) I let it sit on there for about 3 or 4 hours before firing it up and I dident drive it untill tonite. So I guess I waited about 24 hours. And she isnt leaking right now (knock on wood) And that was after driving her for about 45 minutes.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #7

how bout after cam install? I'm in the middle of mine right now and i don't know if i should wait very long. i want to fire it up as soon as possible so the oil doesn't have too much time to drip off the parts.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #8

I have always waited the 24 hours to make sure. If you really want to fire it up, I am GUESSING that you could after a few hours and PROBABLY have no issues. Again, if possible I would wait.
1996 Trans Am, Red M6: HotCam Kit, LS1 Brake Upgrade, MadZ28 Tune, Meziere E-WP, Morosso CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Hooker catback, LT4 KM, Cloyes DR Timing Set, UMI SFCs, Lakewood LCAs, front lowered 1.25", BBK underdrive pulley, 160* thermostat, custom short stick, detailed engine, customized interior, custom Firebird sub box.
348.7 RWHP / 344.2 RWTQ
1quickTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #9

We do the same thing on a jet, wait the 12 hours (that's what it is for our stuff). It ususally isn't ready before that unless you keep it in direct sunlight on a hot day, and that might save you an hour. It's worth just to wait
ZFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #10

I use this stuff called "The Right Stuff". This **** blows RTV out of the water as far as gasket making. Not only can the item be used immediately, its a lot pastier than RTV and seems to seal many times better. Never have to wait when you use this stuff.
Pasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to luckyou03

24 I take no chances
luckyou03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Reply Post New Thread