LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how do i test the ignition control module

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 PM

how do i test the ignition control module

like the title says. how do i test the icm? i know theres a way to do it with a multimeter but i font know which pins to test off of and what the range is
Old 03-24-2005, 09:19 PM

Re: how do i test the ignition control module

You can bring those to autozone and they have a computer that tests them, best part is its free.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:24 PM

took it to advance auto and autozone and they dont have the connector to hook to it forsome reason the lt1 icm is weird
Old 03-25-2005, 01:21 AM

i need to know this befor i sink more money in this car and that not fix the problem. im at the point where im ready to sell this car and buy 2005 corvette
Old 03-25-2005, 11:06 PM

Oreilly's here can test the ICM, and you are right they are hard to test, they dont have a connector that just hooks up right up to them. When I had mine tested they actually had to manually hook up wires to certain terminals to test.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:48 AM

Start with the ign control signal on the white wire of the ICM pin B and at the PCM is on the black connector pin 5. The first thing to do is disconnect both connectors and check continuity from pin B of ICM to pin 5 of the PCM connector. You may need a second wire to reach it with meter. Obviously if there is no continuity, you have a wire to fix.

If ok, connect both ends and put the meter on AC Volts. While cranking the engine, look at the signal on the white wire of the PCM. It should have between 1 and 4 volts AC on it. Remember to ground the black lead.

If no AC signal, pull the connector at the PCM (black connector) and check the signal coming out of pin 5. If there is no signal coming out of pin 5 then most likely (notice I said most likely), the PCM is bad.

If the AC signal is getting to the PCM on the white wire, you must now look at the signals from the ICM to the coil. Ignition off. Meter set to DC Volts. First check for a good ground to the ICM. Put a meter lead on the + battery terminal and probe the black wire pin C on the ICM with the other lead. It should show a full battery voltage (12 or more volts).

If not you have a bad ground.

Ignition on. Meter set to DC Volts. Now check the pink/black wire on pin A of the ICM and the white/ black wire on pin D of the ICM for battery voltage (12 or more volts) remember to ground the other lead.

If the voltage is there, the problem is the coil. If it is not on those 2 pins, you have to determine if the wire from the coil to the ICM is broken, or if the connectors are bad or the coil is bad.

Also if the voltage is not on those 2 pins, check the #11 fuse (10 amp) the supplies the ignition. If blown, no voltage either.

If the AC signal is getting to the ICM and the ICM has 12 volts on pins A and D, the ground is good to the ICM, and you still have no spark the ICM is probably bad.

One other thing, do yourself a favor and put the screen back in your MAF.

Dave
Old 03-26-2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by oneslowz28
i need to know this befor i sink more money in this car and that not fix the problem. im at the point where im ready to sell this car and buy 2005 corvette
Price of ICM <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Price of 2005 vette. Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:15 PM

well the reason i say i might sell it is that i only paid 2000 for the car and ive spent almost that fixing it
Old 04-17-2020, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
Start with the ign control signal on the white wire of the ICM pin B and at the PCM is on the black connector pin 5. The first thing to do is disconnect both connectors and check continuity from pin B of ICM to pin 5 of the PCM connector. You may need a second wire to reach it with meter. Obviously if there is no continuity, you have a wire to fix.

If ok, connect both ends and put the meter on AC Volts. While cranking the engine, look at the signal on the white wire of the PCM. It should have between 1 and 4 volts AC on it. Remember to ground the black lead.

If no AC signal, pull the connector at the PCM (black connector) and check the signal coming out of pin 5. If there is no signal coming out of pin 5 then most likely (notice I said most likely), the PCM is bad.

If the AC signal is getting to the PCM on the white wire, you must now look at the signals from the ICM to the coil. Ignition off. Meter set to DC Volts. First check for a good ground to the ICM. Put a meter lead on the + battery terminal and probe the black wire pin C on the ICM with the other lead. It should show a full battery voltage (12 or more volts).

If not you have a bad ground.

Ignition on. Meter set to DC Volts. Now check the pink/black wire on pin A of the ICM and the white/ black wire on pin D of the ICM for battery voltage (12 or more volts) remember to ground the other lead.

If the voltage is there, the problem is the coil. If it is not on those 2 pins, you have to determine if the wire from the coil to the ICM is broken, or if the connectors are bad or the coil is bad.

Also if the voltage is not on those 2 pins, check the #11 fuse (10 amp) the supplies the ignition. If blown, no voltage either.

If the AC signal is getting to the ICM and the ICM has 12 volts on pins A and D, the ground is good to the ICM, and you still have no spark the ICM is probably bad.

One other thing, do yourself a favor and put the screen back in your MAF.

Dave
crank no start situation with the key on, pin b on the ignition control module I get 12 volts full battery strength.
what does that mean?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Always helps to know the year of the car.

Are you sure you probed pin “B”. Some of the factory wiring diagrams label the ICM connector pins as C-A-D-B, but the actual connector is correctly labeled A-B-C-D.

Better test guide from Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

http://shbox.com/1/95_ign_system_schematic.jpg