Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to oneslowz28
how do i test the ignition control module

like the title says. how do i test the icm? i know theres a way to do it with a multimeter but i font know which pins to test off of and what the range is
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
I am a woman
oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #2

Re: how do i test the ignition control module

You can bring those to autozone and they have a computer that tests them, best part is its free.
1quikZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #3

took it to advance auto and autozone and they dont have the connector to hook to it forsome reason the lt1 icm is weird
I am a woman
Old 03-25-2005, 01:21 AM   #4

i need to know this befor i sink more money in this car and that not fix the problem. im at the point where im ready to sell this car and buy 2005 corvette
I am a woman
Old 03-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #5

Oreilly's here can test the ICM, and you are right they are hard to test, they dont have a connector that just hooks up right up to them. When I had mine tested they actually had to manually hook up wires to certain terminals to test.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:48 AM   #6

Start with the ign control signal on the white wire of the ICM pin B and at the PCM is on the black connector pin 5. The first thing to do is disconnect both connectors and check continuity from pin B of ICM to pin 5 of the PCM connector. You may need a second wire to reach it with meter. Obviously if there is no continuity, you have a wire to fix.

If ok, connect both ends and put the meter on AC Volts. While cranking the engine, look at the signal on the white wire of the PCM. It should have between 1 and 4 volts AC on it. Remember to ground the black lead.

If no AC signal, pull the connector at the PCM (black connector) and check the signal coming out of pin 5. If there is no signal coming out of pin 5 then most likely (notice I said most likely), the PCM is bad.

If the AC signal is getting to the PCM on the white wire, you must now look at the signals from the ICM to the coil. Ignition off. Meter set to DC Volts. First check for a good ground to the ICM. Put a meter lead on the + battery terminal and probe the black wire pin C on the ICM with the other lead. It should show a full battery voltage (12 or more volts).

If not you have a bad ground.

Ignition on. Meter set to DC Volts. Now check the pink/black wire on pin A of the ICM and the white/ black wire on pin D of the ICM for battery voltage (12 or more volts) remember to ground the other lead.

If the voltage is there, the problem is the coil. If it is not on those 2 pins, you have to determine if the wire from the coil to the ICM is broken, or if the connectors are bad or the coil is bad.

Also if the voltage is not on those 2 pins, check the #11 fuse (10 amp) the supplies the ignition. If blown, no voltage either.

If the AC signal is getting to the ICM and the ICM has 12 volts on pins A and D, the ground is good to the ICM, and you still have no spark the ICM is probably bad.

One other thing, do yourself a favor and put the screen back in your MAF.

Dave
slopokrodrigez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslowz28
i need to know this befor i sink more money in this car and that not fix the problem. im at the point where im ready to sell this car and buy 2005 corvette
Price of ICM <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Price of 2005 vette. Just a thought.
91RS, T-Tops, LO3!, 91z28 high rise spoiler, 96 grand sport blue w/ pearl white stripes, 95 LT1 A4,cc304,3.45 BW,1.6Crane Gold,Madz28 tune, Moroso CAI, Coated Hookers 2055, Edelbrock Catback, CSI, 52mm Holley,Walbro 255lph,Digital 6, EGR!, AIR!, LS1 DS, Hotckis Springs, Hotckis SFC, LCA, STB, PHR, Poly eveywhere
I pitty the Fool who doesn't go to www.nitrousoutlet.com
91RSLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #8

well the reason i say i might sell it is that i only paid 2000 for the car and ive spent almost that fixing it
I am a woman
Old 03-26-2005, 06:15 PM

Reply Post New Thread