LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to cheat emmissions 101! It worked!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 04:34 PM

Thumbs up How to cheat emissions 101! It worked!

Allright guys well incase you haven't heard a buddy of mine with a cc306, LT's, Ported heads, 1.6rr went to get his emmissions done again and agian and after failing the for the third time.

My uncle and his hot rod buddies told us to hook up a compressed air tank and tape it into the exhaust before the cat/sniffer(duh) rig a switch connected to petal, then open up the tank and hope. They said the compressed O2 will change the mixture of expelled exhaust and flush out.

Here is the previous thread!
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...genumber=1went this afternoon

Well it worked we routed an a compressor hose from the tank under the carpet and out through a rubber plug under the passenger seat and taped it into the pipe right before the cat!

The test was in Georgia and it was a rolling smog w/sniffer on a 94z the NO2 had the biggest noticable diffrence which went from 1100 down 100 where 750 is passing
and CO went from 1.02 down to .42

Hope this might help some of you fellas. Now grumpygeezer(grumpygreaseape) or whoever can take a peak at redneck technology!

Last edited by 95 Z/28 LT1; 11-24-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:39 PM

put some pics up i like to see how you hook this stuff up.

Vinny
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM

I dont own a camera but the hardest part was hooking up a trigger to the pedal we gave up on it and decided to open the bottle (an old propane tank) a half of a turn before we got out of the car. Then we had to drill out a 1/2 inch hole for a quick release tip ( you know the end that you use to connect airtools to the line with, it has a collar that you pull down to hook them together) that we welded on to the pipe so it wouldn't be noticable.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:30 PM

I'd thought of this too....

Emissions tests work based on PERCENTAGE of emissions, not QUANTITY....

So, the more air that pumps out of your tail pipe, the better.... This is why a 8.0L engine can still pass with virtually the same numbers as a 2.0L engine. It's not quantity it's ratio/percentage....

So, if you can pump more clean air down the pipe along with the exhaust air, your percentage will go down, every time.

An easier idea might be rigging the AIR pump to run ALL THE TIME maybe via a switch?.... This would require very little modification of the car. Question is, would it be enough air to make a difference....

-Michael
Old 11-20-2003, 05:32 PM

I told these people about it a while back and everyone didnt believe me.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:34 PM

Re: How to cheat emmissions 101! It worked!

Originally posted by chevy5143
Allright guys well incase you haven't heard a buddy of mine with a cc306, LT's, Ported heads, 1.6rr went to get his emmissions done again and agian and after failing the for the third time.

My uncle and his hot rod buddies told us to hook up a compressed air tank and tape it into the exhaust before the cat/sniffer(duh) rig a switch connected to petal, then open up the tank and hope. They said the compressed O2 will change the mixture of expelled exhaust and flush out.

Here is the previous thread!
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...genumber=1went this afternoon

Well it worked we routed an a compressor hose from the tank under the carpet and out through a rubber plug under the passenger seat and taped it into the pipe right before the cat!

The test was in Georgia and it was a rolling smog w/sniffer on a 94z the NO2 had the biggest noticable diffrence which went from 1100 down 100 where 750 is passing
and CO went from 1.02 down to .42

Hope this might help some of you fellas. Now grumpygeezer(grumpygreaseape) or whoever can take a peak at redneck technology!
Great job! ...but for all that trouble you couldn't find someone with the hookup for an inspection sticker?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: How to cheat emmissions 101! It worked!

Originally posted by FacelessZ
Great job! ...but for all that trouble you couldn't find someone with the hookup for an inspection sticker?
Ya i probably could of but you know it was one of those i wonder if it could be done deals? So we went for it. Thanks for the support
Old 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up

This is good info. Maybe you should fix the spelling of emissions in your title so this will come up in a search "titles only search" in the future for other people.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:37 AM

Doesn't fresh air help the cats work more efficiently?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:53 PM

ya that is what i was told and why to place it before the cats to help with a complete burn. But it was also to work on the percentages/ratio of other emissions components.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:56 PM

here the trick i did after failing 10 times. tryed timing/vacumhoses/denatured alchol/even put my stock injectors in.. still failed..So i thought about it for a sec.. let me try something stupid.. i un hooked 2 injectors and let it run on 6 cylinders.. guess what passed with flying colors.. after i got the paper in my hand pulled the car out of the bay and hooked up the 2 injectors and laughed my a$$ off.. the next year they stopped doing emission testing in our county..
Old 11-24-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Procharger
here the trick i did after failing 10 times. tryed timing/vacumhoses/denatured alchol/even put my stock injectors in.. still failed..So i thought about it for a sec.. let me try something stupid.. i un hooked 2 injectors and let it run on 6 cylinders.. guess what passed with flying colors.. after i got the paper in my hand pulled the car out of the bay and hooked up the 2 injectors and laughed my a$$ off.. the next year they stopped doing emission testing in our county..
hell ya!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:23 PM

Im glad we dont have emission tests here in the heart of America. I love running no cats and no egr. it great, not having to worry if I am going to pass the mext test.

L8
Shawn
Old 11-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by N2OpwrdTA
This is good info. Maybe you should fix the spelling of emissions in your title so this will come up in a search "titles only search" in the future for other people.

Done!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by SSlammedlt-4
Im glad we dont have emission tests here in the heart of America. I love running no cats and no egr. it great, not having to worry if I am going to pass the mext test.

L8
Shawn
i can only imagine, i live in dfw, rolling smog test every year, and random emissions testing units on random offramps ready to sniff you as you drive over them, if you are above the limit it snaps a photo and then you find a notice that you have to get your car reinspected within so many days or something. it sucks, made me put my cat back on

if i get a cam or headers i'll pull it off, just wasnt enough hp to run without it.

Quick Reply: How to cheat emmissions 101! It worked!