Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.


Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply Post New Thread
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
how can you tell if you have bad lifters?

is there a way to tell without yanking your intake off? someone told me that your car will throw a misfire code if you have a bad lifter... is this true? Any other way to tell?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered User
 
CamaroBoy96Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dearborn Hts/Redford, MI
Posts: 2,359
The only sure way to know if you have bad/worn lifters is to take them out and examine them yourself.
__________________
1996 Sebring Silver Chevy Camaro Z/28 M6 LT1
2007 Black Raven Cadillac CTS-V M6 LS2 (the daily)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 318ci V8 4x4
CamaroBoy96Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Z95m6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: newton, kansas, USA
Posts: 6,067
you will probably get a ticking noise from it not pumping up. Depending how bad it is it could cause some poor performance.
__________________
(current) 03 Cobra with a Whipple
(sold probably dead by now) 1995 Z28 m6
The Z
Z95m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:07 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
Quote:
Originally posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
The only sure way to know if you have bad/worn lifters is to take them out and examine them yourself.
What am I looking for when I take them out? When I pulled the heads off before, they looked fine. But I have this damn ticking no matter how much I adjust the valve lash.
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gloucester-Spfld Mass
Posts: 966
Send a message via AIM to grygst76
are you sure its the lifter(s) and not the injectors? the way to tell if truly you have a bad lifter is by revving the car with the hood open and listening on each side of the rockers.
grygst76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
Yes, it is clearly comming from the passanger side rocker valley. I have brand new injectors in my car.
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:36 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
Quote:
Originally posted by grygst76
are you sure its the lifter(s) and not the injectors? the way to tell if truly you have a bad lifter is by revving the car with the hood open and listening on each side of the rockers.
it does it at idle until the car is warmed up.... then only under acceleration.
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:49 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gloucester-Spfld Mass
Posts: 966
Send a message via AIM to grygst76
1st things 1st, get the rockers adjusted or adjust them yourself and then check for it again, if it is a bad lifter, then just have a complete swap done because you have to take the manifold off anyways so what the heck right?
grygst76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
Quote:
Originally posted by grygst76
1st things 1st, get the rockers adjusted or adjust them yourself and then check for it again, if it is a bad lifter, then just have a complete swap done because you have to take the manifold off anyways so what the heck right?
I have been adjusting them, and have had several people over and no one can get rid of that ticking.... That is why I'm thinking that the problem would be the lifters. I'm out of ideas of anything else.
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
Registered User
 
IgorT.455/406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Calgary, Ab, Canada
Posts: 730
Send a message via ICQ to IgorT.455/406
I have the EXACT same problem. Isn't the injectors, (used stethoschope like crazy), its comming right from the passanger side lifter valley. And adjusting valves does little if nothing. I have not taken the intake off yet, I have a solid roller cam with some endura x lifters to go in there soon.

P.S. Let us know how you fixed the problem, 'cause the solid cam might find its way into my other motor.
__________________
1995 Trans Am LT1/T56, Functional Ram Air Hood and matching CAI, 9" w/4.10s, all free mods, electric WP, Hooker LTs with Hooker CB and OFY, lots of suspension mods
1985 Corvette 406, miniram and EZ EFI, 700r4 with Yank 3600 stall, 3.08 dana 36, dual 2.5" exhaust and 1 5/8s LTs
IgorT.455/406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gloucester-Spfld Mass
Posts: 966
Send a message via AIM to grygst76
replace them then. I suggest a new cam and lifters at the same time, yes it is expensive but it beats smacking your head against the wall whenever you hear it ticking.
grygst76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:19 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
Quote:
Originally posted by grygst76
replace them then. I suggest a new cam and lifters at the same time, yes it is expensive but it beats smacking your head against the wall whenever you hear it ticking.
it is a new cam/lifters/rockers/etc....
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Albuquerque, NM.
Posts: 54
did you isolate exactly which rocker arm you adjust is ticking. My car did the same thing, id adjust em then not long afterwards. It would start ticking again.

Try replacing the rocker arm nut first, i've had to replace 3!! rocker arm nuts. They we're all backing off after i adjusted them, hence the ticking would return. Try that first. Dont go to autozone or pepboys, they do not sell rocker arm nuts ALONE. You'll have to go to the dealership for these. Their maybe a dollar each if i remember.

Try this method while the engine is running. If you know which rocker arm is ticking. Tighten it again, if it goes away for about 2-3 seconds. .tighten again. If the ticking comes back after about 2-3 tries, then you've found which lifter has gone bad.


hope this helps
jason
FreByrd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:32 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to smokin5s Send a message via Yahoo to smokin5s
Quote:
Originally posted by FreByrd2
did you isolate exactly which rocker arm you adjust is ticking. My car did the same thing, id adjust em then not long afterwards. It would start ticking again.

Try replacing the rocker arm nut first, i've had to replace 3!! rocker arm nuts. They we're all backing off after i adjusted them, hence the ticking would return. Try that first. Dont go to autozone or pepboys, they do not sell rocker arm nuts ALONE. You'll have to go to the dealership for these. Their maybe a dollar each if i remember.

Try this method while the engine is running. If you know which rocker arm is ticking. Tighten it again, if it goes away for about 2-3 seconds. .tighten again. If the ticking comes back after about 2-3 tries, then you've found which lifter has gone bad.


hope this helps
jason
I thought about that... I have Roller Rockers so they have those tightening nuts on them to lock them down so they won't turn.
smokin5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 425
Send a message via AIM to snksknr94
Do you have roller rockers on the car? If so you might just be hearing regular rocker noise.
__________________
Aaron
1994 B4C Z28, M6
Mods: I got a few
AZFBA
my car
snksknr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:34 PM
 
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Copyright © 1996-2013 CamaroZ28.Com. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.