LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Urgent head advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 PM

Exclamation Urgent head advice

Ok, to update. I "WAS" just going to do a cam swap with the cc503,comp 1.6rr(7/16 nsa), 918 beehives, 2800 stall, and any other parts that go with it(I can't rember what exactly i bought). Well the mechanic that's doing the work want to pull the motor so it'll be easier and that's when things got outta hand. So now in addition to the parts above I am rebuilding with all forged goodies and want to put titanium valves in. Now to the question the heads may be getting ported by a local machine shop. Since my understanding is that most LT1 heads are stock castings ported would this be the way to go? I need to know quickly either way. Does anyone know of any better LT1 heads? This is becoming a budget project so cost is a factor. As well what exactly would I want to have done to the heads to get the most out of my setup? That's kinda long but I really need some help and fast. Any suggestions are appreacated.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Re: Urgent head advice

Talk to Lloyd Elliot http://www.eportworks.com He does some pretty awsome things with lt1 casting heads. Lots of people are running his port work on their 355,383, and 396's. Check'em out....VERY nicley priced also. I am putting on a set of stock lt1 casting heads ported by Total Engine Airflow onto my fully forged 383 Stroker, and they flow abit better then his "LE3" packaged heads. You wont be disapointed. He also ports intake manifolds, so mite wnat to consider that also to get the most out of your setup, also upgrading the TB size would help also.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Less money on internals and more money on heads. I say stock crank, Eagle I beam rods, Mahle forged pistons, and of course new bearings. Put the extra money into a professional port job on your stock castings, or if you have some extra $$ laying around ported LT4 heads, or pick up some used AFR heads and port them if they aren't already.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Banned

With strong springs the titanium valves will beat up the seat's and themselves pretty quick on the street. Some guys do it but at 6-700 dollars for a set of intake valves that gets pricey.

Ya probably aren't turning enough RPM's to warrant the expense.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 09-21-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 PM

For internals and valves I am getting set up for the future while I have it out. I want to supercharge or spray this setup and get some major power out of it. Plus the every thing is bought short of the valves. I really don't want to worry about the bottom end now or ever. Thanks for the opinions, anybody else out there. No offense just want every possible option, thank you very much guys.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
For internals and valves I am getting set up for the future while I have it out. I want to supercharge or spray this setup and get some major power out of it. Plus the every thing is bought short of the valves. I really don't want to worry about the bottom end now or ever. Thanks for the opinions, anybody else out there. No offense just want every possible option, thank you very much guys.
About the tit valves that isn't an opinion,that's a fact.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 PM

Not to step on your toes or start anything 1racer. I was told it's a good idea to get the valves if you spray. At this point I am leaning heavily toward it. was I missinformed? Is there a better option? I don't know enough to sit here and argue facts or opinions. It was a general statement.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:20 PM

Ferrea 6000 series are a great affordable valve. You don't want titanium, especially since you claim this is a budjet build. Putting $700 into intake valves and getting a half rate port job is like putting a 4" exhaust on a bone stock 1.6L honda.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Not to step on your toes or start anything 1racer. I was told it's a good idea to get the valves if you spray. At this point I am leaning heavily toward it. was I missinformed? Is there a better option? I don't know enough to sit here and argue facts or opinions. It was a general statement.

Don't bother me-- It's your money and time to redo them.
Whoever told ya that they were OK for the street, don't know.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:27 PM

Who told you that you need ti valves with Nos? Or am I misreading the thread?

If you are going to supercharge or spray, you need to get a cam that is specific for that.
When I do extreame supercharge or spray motors, I use JE blower pistons(dimpled crowns) not the cheaper SRP stuff.

Ti valves will kill the seats, and they should be run with beryillium seats...they are not needed for that application, only in our cup car do titanium valves reside(del west). If you really want to spend the money, get some ferrera hollow stem intakes, and high temp special alloy exhaust.

Get some trick flow heads and have lloyd elliot work them over, they have a large exhaust port to start with, which is good for boost/nos motors. And a larger chamber, so you can use less of a dished piston and have ideal compression.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:30 PM

Good point TQ. The more I think about it the more likely I'll send the heads and intake to lloyd. And yes i went a little overboard in other places so now I am on a budjet.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 PM

The trickflow heads for the lT1s are very nice.....
Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Good point TQ. The more I think about it the more likely I'll send the heads and intake to lloyd. And yes i went a little overboard in other places so now I am on a budjet.
If you've got the money send your Heads to Ai. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 PM

No you're not misreading. It's just the supercharger or nitrous will be a little while off. I'm not quite ready for it But I do intend on using it. I am just getting caught up in this project and now I'm lost trying to figure out where to go. I really don't want to do this twice.
A friend from work has a built up LS1 that he sprays. That's why I asked.
How will the setup you suggested function until I get to that point?

1RACER: Completely sorry for coming off the way I did. It was just a general statement and not ment to undermine you or anything.

Z95m6: I've never heard of AI. Or maybe I have but just dont reckognise. Enlighten me.

Last edited by fasteddie94; 09-21-2005 at 09:47 PM.