LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help needed after engine swap please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:38 PM

Question Help needed after engine swap please!!!

Ok, I got my car back today. It's a 97RS vert, and I had a 97LT1 put in including all other neccessary things from a wrecked 97z28. Here's what was done. Jet hot long tube headers, Mufflex Y pipe, and kept my Borla ran open with no plates. Now, I have no cats now, and the air tubes on the headers are blocked off. I haven't put in my K&N cai yet, just stock now. Comming home it seemed fine. I was told my SES light would be on because of no O2 sims in the back yet. I noticed though that my temp gauge wasn't working. I called when I got home, they told me to check the sensor. Here, the wire came off the sensor. Put it back on, gauge works fine, but notice to me feels like a miss, running ruff. Going up a steep hill, SES light now flashing. I go to autozone, and he pulls 9 codes. He's telling me I may need bigger injectors now, plus not having my cai hooked yet would help cause not to be smooth. He said that the scanner pulled up a multiple miss 1-8. I was hoping that he could just tell me if It was just a wire, and which one. He cleared my codes, and drove about 1/2 mile with no SES, but still running ruff, then it came on flashing again. My mechanic who is almost an hour away thinks it's the coolant sensor causing it to run ruff or lean or something because it's not on there right now. The whole clip actually came off, now it's kinda just resting there just making contact. Now, where should I start, and what should I do now? The wires look ran good away from the headers. Even the guy at autozone said my mechanic did a good job with them. I'm using the stock plugs and wires, and the guy at autozone said better wires would help also? Now I don't now if this guy is just trying to get me to buy a whole bunch of stuff or what? Also, a few times when I picked up speed around 50-60mph it seemed like it smoothed off. Did hear the sputter in the exhaust. And driving home from the shop in the first place was all highway, and no real issues there. Could it just be at certain speeds or RPMS? But any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and all I can say is wow. Going from my 3.8 to this set up. I love flooring it lol.

Last edited by camaro 22; 09-21-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:55 PM

Re: Help needed after engine swap please!!!

Im running a cammed LT1 and my stock injectors are just fine. The fuel pressure ok?? I thought the 3.8 fuel pump was different than the lt1s? Otherwise I was under the impression that flashing SES lights are misfires. Optis? damaged wires? a plug wire not on all the way?? Just guesses.

Replace that coolant sensor/wire and see what happens.... Good luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:05 PM

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm
Old 09-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Everything that was needed was swapped over. It has power, doesn't seem like it's struggling to get gas. Could a temp sensor not making the proper connection cause a miss type feeling? Oh, and 1 time it did backfire after staring it up, and backing out of a parking space. Thanks for the replies, keep them comming.

Shawn
Old 09-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Alright... hmm...very well could be Opti related.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:47 PM

And again, it was fine driving an hour home from the shop, all highway just about. I'm kinda leaning to a bad wire somewhere, but I wish there was a way to find out which one for sure. I thought autozone could pinpoint, but they just said multiple misfire 1-8. They've pinpointed bad wires in my v6 with their scanner. I just don't want to have to change all the wires with the motor in now. Number 3 wire I think was resting on the header. I tried moving it. Does anyone know of common wires that get burnt on jet hot headers?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:48 PM

well..I have BBK Shorty headers and I spent a lil while ensuring none of the wires were near them.

If you have a wire arcing.. thats probably your best bet right there. Try wire ties? Anything you can do to keep them away from the header!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 PM

Is there anyway to find out for sure if it's the wires other than changing them out? I tried looking for arching, but I can't see anything, although it's dark, it's not pich dark.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:44 PM

I didnt have any visible arcing earlier but the car was acting funny...after it cooled down I discovered a wire I had pushed against the header while changing out my starter. Moved it back to its priginal out of the way location and the engine was fine again.

Just double check them all and make sure nothing is touching anywhere.