LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP!! Car is cursed. runs rough after 2 min of driving, msd problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 03:39 PM

Angry HELP!! Car is cursed. runs rough after 2 min of driving, msd problem?

About ready to junk my car and buy a *** car after all this trouble. I spent 10 grand trying to fix my car and it's still broken. Car used to bog and stumble and backfire. Had a shop supposedly replace the opticrap. Think it would be fixed? nope. By the way, cartech in garwood NJ is a rip off place. Had the whole engine rebuilt, new wires and plugs, the car ran fine for a day. I replaced the fuel filter, the car still bogs. It runs fine for 2 min, than it goes to ****, bogs and doesn't go anywhere if I hit the throttle, and feels as if it's gonna stall out. It used to clear up when I beat it up on the highway, now it runs lousy forever. Could it be the msd 6AL, optispark coil?? How can I check if it is? I am sick of taking it to places to use my car as a trial and error to fix parts on it at my expense. Anyone with help or advice? thanx
Old 08-19-2002, 03:55 PM

describe EXACTLY what it does and we'll see what we can come up with. If we can't fix it, I'll buy it so you can buy your import

------------------
94 Formula M6 w/ 98+ front clip, P&P heads, CC 306, RK Sport Headers, 1.6 RR's, CSI pump, ACD line lock, LT4 starter, 1.5 drop springs, DIY SFC's, Fittipaldi 18's
Pics of the Formula
Old 08-19-2002, 04:31 PM

Unhappy

Well. starting 2 years ago. the car started backfiring, bogging, studdering after about 5 min of driving, anotherwards after it warmed up. I took it to this one place, and they supposedly replaced the opti spark, but the car was still running the same, Their excuse for that was, well the engine's cylinder is messed up from the bad optispark, and now you'll have to spend 4 grand for new motor, Well I said not by you I won't. So I took it to Pat Musi, big race guy, he rebuilt the whole engine, new plugs, wires, and the car ran fine for a day than started bogging and running very rough whenever I gave it gas. However, when I took it on the highway at high speeds, it would clear up, until I started going slow again for instance from light to light. Bogging, rough idle,no pick uo whatsoever. I was getting beat by volkswagens!! I changed the fuel filter yesterday, it's still the same. I checked 2 spark plugs, cause I can't get to anymore, but they were fine. I took the car out today, it ran super fast for 2 min, than it started bogging and running rough, almost stalling out at idle. It seems when it gets hot, it just goes downhill. Below is listed what I have in it. Can it be a bad opti spark,maybe they never changed it, that lousy shop, plugs and wires bad already? bad coil? timing? msd box? fuel pump? I'm no master mechanic, but I can do some small tasks. thanx for any info

-----------------------
Paxton Supercharger 5-7 lbs, msd 6AL, centerforce clutch, pro 5.0 short shifter, edelbrock headers, lunati cam, air foil, borla exhaust, 4.11 gears.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:30 PM

Have you scanned it.. it sounds like it is messing up when in closed loop possibly? Also with a supercharger what are you doing for fuel enrichment? I'd bypass the supercharger and try to get it running well without it first. Bypass the MSD box as well.

------------------
93 Turbo Trans Am
----
web page
Old 08-19-2002, 06:32 PM

Have you scanned it.. it sounds like it is messing up when in closed loop possibly? Also with a supercharger what are you doing for fuel enrichment? I'd bypass the supercharger and try to get it running well without it first. Bypass the MSD box as well.

------------------
93 Turbo Trans Am
----
web page
Old 08-20-2002, 11:50 AM

whoah, hold on, bypass stuff, scan? I have hardly anything to work on my car besides a couple wrenches. I am totally lost when you say closed loop. What exactly is that? What kind of scanner are you talking about also and how much does it cost. I have 3 extra injectors though on top my manifold for fuel enrichment. I hate taking the car anywhere cause everyone is a rip off, just replacing anything and everything at my expense. However, last night I started up the car to see if I had any sparks, and low and behold I saw fireworks on my coil wire going to my opti spark. I am going to replace this today and I hope this is the problem.. Crossing fingers.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:28 PM

Hey partner, I know your frusted but you have to start thinking about this logically.
I feel your pain and money spent. First start by asking questions on the board if you are unfamiliar with terms ask and do searches to help you become familiar with the terms. Next contact the shops you had work on your car tell them what your problems are,Maybe they can help you out, if you have spent that much money with them. Next try and buy yourself a scan master or a laptop equivalent (many good ones avaiable)so you will be able to look at thrown codes and other engine parameters. If you don't have the tools or skills to do these feats look into a shop with a dyno and a wide band o2 sensor. Second, stop driving the car I think you are running extremely rich, and you are running the risk of washing the new rings out of the engine. If you have any questions feel free and e-mail me and maybe I can help steer you in the right direction. Good luck and try and take it easy.

Kevin
Old 08-20-2002, 08:41 PM

I agree sounds like a problem when the car goes in to closed loop. It would not be a big deal to bypass the MSD, but they are a typically an all or nothing affair. ( works or doesn't work) You can get a cable from Andrew at AKM electronics for about $100 to connect your ALDL connector on your car to a serial port on a PC check the computer board. There is software like Tunercat, Free Scan and LT1 editor that have a scanning function. If the car is back firing I say its lean but if its booging and no backfire is rich. Jack the car up and look at the cat, if you have one, if the exhaust pipe right behind the converter is free of rust your running rich and the converter is lighting off. If Musi is any good he should have replaced any engine part that would have given you problems. What is still on the car that was there before the rebuild. Sensors?
Old 08-21-2002, 09:18 AM

have you changed O2's? Sounds like when it starts reading from the sensors, then it struggels.

Do you ever get an SES light?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:42 PM

I have all the stock sensors still on the car. I don't get any trouble lights coming up in the dashboard, that's why I don't think it can be a sensor, otherwise I would be getting some trouble light I would think. The one time my intake sensor went bad it threw a light, I changed it and it was fine. I guess I'm gonna have to change all the plug wires, as stock wires seem to suck and don't seem to handle my demands of power.. thanx for the info.

Old 08-21-2002, 04:12 PM

seriously, try O2 sensors. Mine did the same thing a month ago.

best thing would be to get a friend to "loan" you his for the test. that way you won't have to buy them.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:23 PM

How many 02 sensors are there and where are they located?
Old 02-24-2003, 10:22 PM

The o2s are on you exhaust manifold and there are 2 of them.
Did you ever figure out what's was wrong?