LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help With Block Drain Bolt ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mycoolm3
Thats weird never seen a bolt like that...
sounds like an allen key to me, pretty common

Originally Posted by FastandBlue
I did and it worked fine, but I know I didn't get as good of flush as I could have. I'm going to use vise grips on mine after I pull the exhaust manifolds and y pipe.
you will ruin the bolt and make it so you or anyone else will ever get it out

you can try to heat it up and use the correct sized 6pt socket on it and it should come out

if your removing the waterpump - just cover the opti with a plastic bag. if the bolt does not come out easily then dont worry about it for flushing the coolant
Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM

Dangalla, I actually stripped the bolt head using the correct 6pt socket. That's how much force it took. I'll heat it up, but I might as well try vise grips at this point. If that doesn't work I'm going to be drilling it out anyway.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM

Dangalla, I actually stripped the bolt head using the correct 6pt socket. That's how much force it took. I'll heat it up, but I might as well try vise grips at this point. If that doesn't work I'm going to be drilling it out anyway.
Hence why I use my shop-vac trick to get coolant out..don't have to bother with torches and coolant going everywhere even using the block drain...
Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM
01Z

I have a tool set that is made specifically for this job. They totally dig into whatever remains of a bolt or stud and the more force needed for the job the greater the grip. If I had time right now I would take a picture of the set. If you haven't already done the deed I can give you the name of the tool and post a picture or a link to it. Just something to consider.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by mycoolm3
First off i want to thank magnaflow every one in this site, i just finished installing a water pump in a 1994 camaro z28 took me around 3 hours. could't have done it with out all the info on the forums !!!!

Anyways the only thing i cant do is take off the block drain bolt...its hard as hell!!! broke 1 ratchet extension !!!

Question....

Is this bolt normally this hard? Which way does it open?

Thanks alot!!!!!

-Sam
I think you should turn it to the left like a standard bolt. If it's hard, get a good grip on it.

Last edited by copternadley; 06-03-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 AM

I dont know about vice grips probably would round it off then youll be screwed forever. Also if you broke the tool set on it like someone said earlier get a breaker bar and when attempting to turn i always put my right hand on the head of the breaker where its connected to the bolt attempting to be turned and then just use leverage. if you do not have a good grip with your tools and are just pulling on it you could slip off the bolt rounding it out or busting the bolt i did this on an intake bolt one time had to drill the hole out to get it out and then had to rethread it. Good luck man and sometimes it helps when you tap on the sides of the bolt first