LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heat Ate Throug Spark Plug Wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 AM

Heat Ate Throug Spark Plug Wire

Hey everyone;

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but wanted to revisit and ask a question because I took my car out yesterday for the 1st spin this year. I had just put a brand new battery in it, started it and ran it for 25 min. Then I decided I needed to drive it too.

So I took it out and not but a mile after I left my house, the car stalled while I was driving so I pulled over. The car would not start back up, it just kept trying. I knew it wasn't a battery issue because it sounded like it was trying to start, but wouldnt turn over.

I popped open the hood and examined for a good 10 min before I found a major issue. One of the spark plug wires was half way burned through because it was touching my headers. Would this cause my car to stall like this?

I tried pulling out the plug and starting it on 7 cylinders but no luck. I wonder if this would have caused my major issues have had the past 7 years as indicated here.

Anyways just looking for thoughts on this issue. My car still will not start and I have no idea what else would cause it not to start.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 AM

You have something else going on. Maybe your fuel pump took a crap or something. You need to start with the basics and check for spark and fuel - maybe get a scanner on there to help diagnose it.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 AM

Is it just turning over or does it just try to turn over and wont. Could be your battery again i know you said you replaced it but if it is not turning over and it stalled could be that the car was running straight off the battery then it died. That to me would indicate alternator.

If it just turns over and never engages then start by checking the fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If that checks out start testing for spark. Checker has a tool that you can buy that you clamp on any plug\ coil wire that will determine if your getting spark or not.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 AM

It just tries to turn over...and doesnt engage. You know the sound when you're trying to start a car and it doesn't turn over. It seems like it could be a fuel issue because its old gas, and prob still has stabilizer in it. Thats just a guess...but maybe.

I'll have get it tested I guess, but figured I'd get some feedback on initial thoughts.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Still unclear as to what you're saying.

Does the starter sound like it's working?

If the starter is working, does the engine sound as if it's turning over?

If the engine is turning over, is it turning over fast enough to start?

Since your's is a '93, you can use the paper clip method to pull any trouble codes.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
Still unclear as to what you're saying.

Does the starter sound like it's working?

If the starter is working, does the engine sound as if it's turning over?

If the engine is turning over, is it turning over fast enough to start?

Since your's is a '93, you can use the paper clip method to pull any trouble codes.
I have a 93 aswell and was wondering what the paper clip method was?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator

"Turn over" to many people means the starter cranking the engine. Appears you are using "turn over" as meaning starting. You need to clarify.

Scanning a 93 for codes, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg
Old 07-31-2010, 04:21 PM

The engine is not turning over. I don't know if the starter is trying, I'm assuming it is by the sound its making. I've done the paper clip technique before but fail to understand why I'd try it in this situation if the check engine light IS NOT on?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 PM

Does your lights come on? Are they dim does it go click click click and everything flashes when you try to turn it over? If so then your alternator is bad and it killed the new battery ive seen this happen a million times.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 PM

It doesn't go click click, it actually tries to start over, just never does
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I only provided the link to scanning for codes because someone else asked for it.

Appears you are saying the starter does not engage and does not turn the engine. In that case, its hard to see how it would be a fuel problem. Sounds like a problem with the wiring between the battery and the starter.

Have you checked the wires at the battery for corrosion?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I only provided the link to scanning for codes because someone else asked for it.

Appears you are saying the starter does not engage and does not turn the engine. In that case, its hard to see how it would be a fuel problem. Sounds like a problem with the wiring between the battery and the starter.

Have you checked the wires at the battery for corrosion?
Not thoroughly, but I remmeber them being ok. I never drive the car, and corrosion is the furthest thing from what I think would be the problem. Also considering the car started and ran for 25 min in my driveway prior to me driving it seems like it would rule that out maybe?

All the car does is go "jhu jhu jhu jhu" and thats about the best spelling and perception I can give although I'm sure it doesnt help.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Apparently you don't put much faith in my advice, but the gasses from the battery cause the copper wire to corrode. It can completely eat away the copper wire inside the insulation. If can form a layer of copper sulfate, that insulates the wire from whatever it is connected to. Maybe fiddling with the wires to install the new battery weakened them more.

But what do I know.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Apparently you don't put much faith in my advice, but the gasses from the battery cause the copper wire to corrode. It can completely eat away the copper wire inside the insulation. If can form a layer of copper sulfate, that insulates the wire from whatever it is connected to. Maybe fiddling with the wires to install the new battery weakened them more.

But what do I know.
i have had alot of issues with my car and taking the advice from u fred has helped me alot thanks man. like the issue this guy has ive had it and i did what u and shoebox said and now my car is the best i love my Z28
Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 PM

fair enough. I will examine tommorrow and post back my results!

Quick Reply: Heat Ate Throug Spark Plug Wire