LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Grinding/Rubbing Noise When Coming to a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:44 AM

Grinding/Rubbing Noise When Coming to a Stop

I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the 'drivetrain' section or not, but here goes....

Last week, I removed the entire rear end out of the car to check my gears and change the oil. Well, before I removed the rear, it made very little noise or anything. Upon inspection, my father and I noticed the gears were set up a little tight. I had .002 of backlash. So, we tried some different shims, and got it as close as .009. The markings on the ring gear said .008, so we called it good. I added Vavoline 80/90 gear oil, the limited slip additive, and I put the rear back in the car. Every since then, I've got this annoying rubbing/grinding noise coming from the back of the car when I come to a stop. Its driving me nuts! Its not my brake pads...they still have plenty of life left. Its not the rotors...they're barely a year old. I even put the back of the car up on jack-stands to let the rear wheels spin free in neutral, and everything is quiet. It makes no noise at all that way! Could it be my tires?? They're balding - but not totally bald. My panhard rod is greased and stabilizer bar/links are installed correctly. My lower control arms and shocks were tightened with the car in the air with no weight on the suspension....I didn't think this would affect anything. What else could I check? Driveshaft not snug up against the pinion?? Okay, I'm fumbling at straws here. Everything is tight including the driveshaft bolt caps. I don't know what else to do....please help guys.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 AM

Re: Grinding/Rubbing Noise When Coming to a Stop

If the gears were not making noise, then why did you mess with them in the first place?

Did you add pinion or ring gear shims? After you were done, did you check the gear mesh with some marking compound? You usually cannot just shim over the carrier without re-shimming the pinion or your gear meshing won't be right. Also when you check it, you have to make your the carrier bearing caps are tight.

-Dave C. '97 Z28
Old 09-23-2004, 01:45 PM

I decided to look at them for two reasons:

1 - The gear oil needed changed.
2 - When the rear end was set up originally, we (myself and my father) believed that it might've been set up too tight. This was 3 years ago. So, just to be sure, we took the diff out and checked everything. We never changed the pinion depth because that was exactly to spec according to the stamp on the end of the pinion. I can't remember what that was right now, but we didn't touch it. All we did was correct the backlash with shimming the ring gear as close to spec as we could get it. The carrier caps were tightened down to torque specs and that was it. Any other ideas?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:44 PM

Yea.. check the mesh with marking compound like I said in the first post.

-Dave C. '97 Z28
Old 09-23-2004, 09:46 PM

Anyone else have a suggestion?