LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Going to track - first time, any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 07:19 AM

Going to track - first time, any pointers?

Hey. I am planning on going to the 1/4 mile track next week and i really havent been to one before. I was wondering if there is anything i should know? The main thing that worries my is traction. From a stand still i can floor and and burn out all the way through 1st gear and some of second with my posi 2.73 rear and A4 trans. I have no problem keeping this straight and have have alot of practice regaining control in rain and such, but i am afraid at the track from all of the rubber that i wont get traction and may slide off the track. I think that would be very embarrasing Also should i run in performance mode or not?

Thanks guys,
Shawn
Old 10-02-2004, 08:27 AM

Re: Going to track - first time, any pointers?

First bit of advice-- Pull around the water box and back into it to do your burn out.

2nd--dont smoke your tires in the burnout box. Just spin them a couple of times to clean them off; if you are running street tires that is.

3rd--when the third yellow lights up hit the gas; dont wait for green.

Just a few things I've learned along the way
Old 10-03-2004, 08:58 AM

So would you say that the average track has more or less traction then the average well maintained road?

Should i lower my tire pressure to like 20 psi? I have Daytona 245/50-16ZR tires. You really have to heat them up to leave tire marks.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 AM

If you are using street tires, don't expect a very good et! You will also not get any benefit from lowering tire pressure (sidewalls on street tires are too rigid). If anything, it will hurt your mph and be a bit unstable at high speeds. I would basically try to come out with as little spinng as possible, and go for 100 mph. If you can hit that, then tires will definitely get you in the 13 range. Before you run, change your oil to synthetic, make sure your air filter is new, pump your front tires to 50 lbs, take out your jack and spare tire, have new gas with no more than a quarter tank etc...You will learn that one big thing with these cars is engine temp. Get there early and open the hood and cool that thing down awhile before you run. It's worth a few tenths believe it or not. You could even ice bag the intake but just make sure no water drips on the opti.

Last edited by chrism400; 10-03-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Since it's your first time and you will inevitably be nervous, try to run by yourself (no opponents) and don't even mind the tree at first. Just let it go down to green and then just concentrate on getting the least wheelspin possble on the start. The fact that you're sitting on the line while the light is green (reaction time) won't affect your ET's. You can fall asleep on the starting line, then wake up, take off and turn in a 13.9 sec. ET.

If you are however racing someone for bragging rights, then as wicked95z said leave on the last yellow (you only foul if your rear wheels trip the starting beam before the light turns green)

Last edited by MTL_Z28; 10-03-2004 at 03:43 PM.