LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

GM vs Accel vs MSD optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM

GM vs Accel vs MSD optispark?

I'm having problems with my new engine and it might be the optispark. I'm going to hook up another one to see if I can get spark. I bought a GM one and it only has about 3 thousand miles on it. I've been doing some research in case it ends up being the optispark. For about $230 I can get either a GM or Accel optispark on ebay or for about $490 I can get an MSD. Is Accel better than the GM. Is the MSD worth the money? I have a highly modified 95 LT1.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Re: GM vs Accel vs MSD optispark?

Its hard to compare the performance and reliability of a GM unit that's been around for 13 years to an MSD that has only been out for a couple months, at most. I don't think anyone can know how long the MSD will last, when its not likely anyone has put more than a couple thousand miles on them.

There have already been reports of some problems with the complete MSD Opti and with the MSD cap/rotor kit. A "search" should turn up the threads addressing these problems.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Its hard to compare the performance and reliability of a GM unit that's been around for 13 years to an MSD that has only been out for a couple months, at most. I don't think anyone can know how long the MSD will last, when its not likely anyone has put more than a couple thousand miles on them.

There have already been reports of some problems with the complete MSD Opti and with the MSD cap/rotor kit. A "search" should turn up the threads addressing these problems.
I did find some stuff on the MSD but not much on the Accel and nothing that really compares all three. I figured I'd ask the question to give somebody looking into a new opti all the info on their options. Pretty much all I have found is that there are no good options. All three kinda suck!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 PM

The one thing I always hear about the Accel is the oil lite bushings. I'm unsure of how it's working out though.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM

I have an Accel. I've had it for about 3000 miles and cant complain.

I got caught in a flash flood, in which i most certainly drowned the distributor. I had to have been in 6 inches of water numerous times. The car stuttered a bit, then cut off as I cut through a 4th deep puddle trying to make it to saftely. I was going maybe 10mph and water was splashing up over my side view mirrors... it was bad. I finally made it to a parkinglot, and coasted in to try to restart my car.

I turned the car over and it wouldnt start at first. I probably tried 10 times, and the car would pop and stutter. I was mad, I had just spent $199 on the distributor from JC Whitney. It couldnt die already! I really coudlnt blame it though... it was submerged.

5 minutes later, after I suppose the wires dried out a bit I turned it over again and the car started just fine. It never stuttered again on the the trip home and the opti has been running just fine ever since. This incident was probably 1500 miles ago.

If the distributor could survive what I put it though, then I give it my stamp of approval.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:23 PM

Damn!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by marshall93z
Damn!
X2.

It looks like Accel might be the way to go! Especially if you don't want to mess with setting the timing with the MSD's! For the same price as a stock GM opti if Accel are this waterproof I would definately buy one.

Is anybody else running an Accel and what are your experiences with it and how many miles do you have on it?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Does Accel make the Summit Opti, because there have been a couple failures of the Summit Optis already?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM

Does Accel make the Summit Opti, because there have been a couple failures of the Summit Optis already?
Do you know what the failure symptoms were? I'll have to do a search. I just put one in my 96, and the thing is running like it has crossed wires. Idles fine, but any kinda load and it pops and snarls. I'm 99% sure it's installed correctly. Plugs and wires are new and have been checked twice. The ICM and coil check out fine too. Autotap is reading a P1361 code, so it may be the harness or the opti.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:16 PM

From what I've seen, I think so. I remember the descriptions of the two optis being the same.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Steve0
I have an Accel. I've had it for about 3000 miles and cant complain.

I got caught in a flash flood, in which i most certainly drowned the distributor. I had to have been in 6 inches of water numerous times. The car stuttered a bit, then cut off as I cut through a 4th deep puddle trying to make it to saftely. I was going maybe 10mph and water was splashing up over my side view mirrors... it was bad. I finally made it to a parkinglot, and coasted in to try to restart my car.

I turned the car over and it wouldnt start at first. I probably tried 10 times, and the car would pop and stutter. I was mad, I had just spent $199 on the distributor from JC Whitney. It couldnt die already! I really coudlnt blame it though... it was submerged.

5 minutes later, after I suppose the wires dried out a bit I turned it over again and the car started just fine. It never stuttered again on the the trip home and the opti has been running just fine ever since. This incident was probably 1500 miles ago.

If the distributor could survive what I put it though, then I give it my stamp of approval.
Funny you should mention that. I also have the accel opti and the EXACT same thing happened to me with the deep puddle situation. Like yours, mine started back up in about 10-15 minutes. That was about 1500 miles ago and the car is currently running great.