LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Gauge install ?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 PM

Gauge install ?s

Hopefully this week my AutoMeter gauges should arrive. I'm getting an oil pressure, water temp and trans temp gauge.

I "think" that the trans has a plugged hole that will work for the trans temp gauges. I know the 4l60E has it and I am assuming the 4l60 does as well. Anyone know? Would it be more accurate if I were to weld a bung into the pan?

WIth the water temp, I'd like to keep the factory gauge functional if possible. Are there any other options available besides using the exsisting gauge sender location? Has anyone ever tried using a t-connection to install both? Are there any other plugged holes in the heads that I am missing?

The oil pressure is going into the hole that I "think" is where the 94+ sender is located. Is there an easier spot to reach that I could use?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Re: Gauge install ?s

Originally Posted by Mr.Whitey
WIth the water temp, I'd like to keep the factory gauge functional if possible. Are there any other options available besides using the exsisting gauge sender location? Has anyone ever tried using a t-connection to install both? Are there any other plugged holes in the heads that I am missing?
I assume you are talking about an electronic water temp gauge. There is a plugged hole on the passenger side head between #6 and #8. If you think about it, since there is only one head design, used on both sides of the engine, that's the same hole that is used for the stock gauge sender on the drivers side. IF you can't access the hole on the passenger side, you can add a sensor in the return line from the back of the head. I can show you a picture if that's the way you need to go.

The oil pressure is going into the hole that I "think" is where the 94+ sender is located. Is there an easier spot to reach that I could use?
The one on the top/back of the block is sort of hard to reach. This is a case where using a "tee" on your present sensor location might make sense.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:07 PM

Re: Gauge install ?s

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I assume you are talking about an electronic water temp gauge. There is a plugged hole on the passenger side head between #6 and #8. If you think about it, since there is only one head design, used on both sides of the engine, that's the same hole that is used for the stock gauge sender on the drivers side. IF you can't access the hole on the passenger side, you can add a sensor in the return line from the back of the head. I can show you a picture if that's the way you need to go.

The one on the top/back of the block is sort of hard to reach. This is a case where using a "tee" on your present sensor location might make sense.
Yes, I did buy all electric gauges, sorry. A picture of that return line location would be very helpful. Any ideas where to look to buy a t-connection?
Thank you for the reply.