LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel gauge is way past full

Old 11-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Fuel gauge is way past full

hey all my fellow f bodys how are you guys this morning so ive kind of encountered a problem after chaning my fuel pump my gas gauge reads
past full and now it has gotten so bad that my car will allow me to put about $3.50 in the gas tank and will start to push out the gas cap and leak behind my rear wheel anyone know whats going on
Old 11-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Re: Fuel gauge is way past full

Topping off the tank with only $3.50 would indicate that the tank was already close to full, which seems to agree with the gauge. The fuel gauge on these cars is not very accurate to begin with. It's normal for a topped off tank to peg the gauge above the full mark. Typically they read about a 1/4 high. See what happens after some mileage (50-100).
Old 11-21-2014, 03:30 PM

see i had the same thought as you but i pulled the fuel pump sending unit and it looks to have about a 1/4 tank of gas i checked the sending unit and where the level float attachs the plastic is broken would this have something to do with it ?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM

So with a close to empty tank you can only get close to a gallon and the fuel overflows out of the filler tube? Sounds like there's a blockage and all you're doing is filling the filler tube which may be close to a gallon capacity. Correct me if I misunderstood you.

You can live without a fuel gauge, just reset the trip meter every time you fill up and get gas somewhere around 200 trip miles (depends on what mileage you're getting).

The gas tanks aren't geometrically squared, instead try to picture an inverted pyramid. There's more capacity at the top and less at the bottom. The gauge will indicate about 1/2 when you have about 1/4 tank left and it goes down quickly after that.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM

no your correct and now that you say that it does seem like im just filling the filler neck and wasting 2-3 dollars of gas on the floor. So would the evap system be clogged or is it that the flot is stuck on full so its stopping my car from accepting any gas ?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by blac94Z
no your correct and now that you say that it does seem like im just filling the filler neck and wasting 2-3 dollars of gas on the floor. So would the evap system be clogged or is it that the flot is stuck on full so its stopping my car from accepting any gas ?
The position of the float has nothing to do with the tanks ability to accept fuel. What I believe is happening is the vent system is closed, not allowing the air that is in the tank to escape as you fill. Check all lines and any solenoids you find along the way...

My truckmdoesvthis from time to time. It's a known fault and due to a solenoid not opening...

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Administrator

No solenoid in the 94 vent system. Just a spring loaded pressure relief valve in the line to the EVAP canister. Once you open the fill cap, any pressure will escape. The nozzle is not a sealed fit in the fill pipe, that's why most states require a vapor recovery system (typically a spring loaded bellows) to capture the vapor displaced as you fill the tank.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

so basically the valve bolted to the intake is what I need to Change and the hoses I know I have to change for sure and now I believe I need a new canister also the valve new to the canister