LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

fuel charcoal canister leaking?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM

fuel charcoal canister leaking?

so today my camaro started leaking large amounts of gas out of the back of my car I took the panel off and I was able to see that the canister was literally leaking gas out of it,after I unhooked the line to the solenoid and it was filled with charcoal I cleared the line but it still seems to be leaking do need a new canister and valve solenoid or a purge valve I'm just kind confused at this point any help is appreciated .
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Re: fuel charcoal canister leaking?

Do you routinely overfill the tank?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 AM

No i just bought the car and just got the car running and yesterday it had a hard start it spun for about 10 sec then i put my foot on the gas and it fired up and ran rough , i checked the hosed i know i need to change the hoses that lead from the canister to the valve ....

Ps. When it finally fired up (with foot on gas) it was puffing smoke or unburned gas out the tailpipes
Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Putting the accel pedal to the floor puts the PCM in "clear flood" mode. It's possible the EVAP purge solenoid was stuck open, allowing the engine to pull in raw fuel from the EVAP canister.

I would temporarily disconnect the EVAP vacuum line from the side of the throttle body, and cap the nipple on the throttle body. Then try starting it and see if the problem clears up.

If the EVAP system is what is causing the problem, the canister will have to be replaced, and the lines blown clean, if possible. You can also apply 12V directly to the solenoid to open it, while you try and blow that out.

You also need to try and figure out why the EVAP system was filling with liquid fuel. It's only supposed to receive the vapor vented from the fuel tank. No liquid fuel should exit the tank via the vent line, although over filling the tank can cause that to happen.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM

Now i know i didnt over fill the tank bc i put 20$ in the tank after putting the pump in and i took off the valve next intake that was my first step i cleared the lines and after is when the canister started to leak and all 3 hoses i pulled off leaked out the canister so what do you think can be my problem , im going to buy a new canister and valve on thursday and the valve next to the canister also so what else will i need ?

And i really apprictaite your help with this task
Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator

I don't recall the canister having 3 hoses, only 2 ??? It has 3 pipes on it, but the middle one is an air inlet/vent to atmosphere. Does the fuel system appear to work correctly, with the correct connections of the fuel supply and return lines? It's hard to screw those up, since they are different sizes and have the quick release fittings.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:44 PM

To add fuel to the fire my brother just called and said that my car is leaking gas again but i disconnected the battery why is it still pumping gas to the canitster why is it doing this ?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Administrator

The fuel pump is not pumping fuel to the canister. There is no direct connection between the fuel pump and the EVAP canister. There is only a small rubber line from the vent connection on the fuel sending unit through a pressure relief valve, to one of the connections on the canister.

The line from the canister to the purge solenoid on the passenger side of the intake manifold does not connect to any location that has wet fuel present.

Now someone may have connected the hoses incorrectly, but it isn't likely the engine would have been running with a pump or return line connected to the canister.

Take the fill cap off to insure there is no pressure building in the tank as the temperature of the fuel rises.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM

3 hoses all of them leak raw gas out when i took off the hoses and no like you said it kinda hard to put them on backwards
Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Administrator

What I'm trying to tell you is the factory canister only has 2 hoses connected to it. I bought my 94 brand new. I know the stock system very well.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:27 PM

no pressure in tank when i remove the cap only one time did i ever his it hiss
now to add i know i need a better gas cap also
Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM

believe me im not doubting you im just telling you mines has 3 hoses the 1st hose connects to the valve next to the canitser and the other two i belive routed to the sending unit
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Administrator

What valve next to the canister? You need to post a picture. This is nothing like my 94, and nothing like what is shown in the factory manual.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 PM

I may be calling it by the wrong name but it's the circle valve from the 1st hose from the canister I will post a picture in the morning bc I don't have a good light
Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Administrator

The pressure control valve is sandwiched between the fill pipe and the body.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel charcoal canister leaking?