LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel Cell - Ideas?

Old 02-06-2003, 11:52 PM

Still looking for more information on this.

Thanks,
Gonzo
Old 02-26-2003, 02:36 AM

Brent 94Z had a friend that put a cell in the rear hatch. Try him in the appearance section.

Ferrell
Old 02-26-2003, 05:15 AM

Thanks Ferrell, I'll look around in there.

Gonzo
Old 02-27-2003, 01:50 AM

BTW: His name is John. He was at the Gathering last year. I'll see if I can find some pics. He also had some sweet mini tubs he did himself. His web site used to be www.camaro9.com but I don't think it works now. Hey John, you still out there?

FL

Brent?

Last edited by Ferrell; 02-27-2003 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:47 AM

Yea, it's very hard finding a 4th Gen write up on this. Hell, when we do mine we'll be sure to document part #'s, how we did the install, and take plenty of pictures to help others out.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:15 AM

Re: Fuel Cell - Ideas?

Originally Posted by SmoknZ28
Yea, it's very hard finding a 4th Gen write up on this. Hell, when we do mine we'll be sure to document part #'s, how we did the install, and take plenty of pictures to help others out.

Any luck with that install? I've been thinking about doing a cell in the trunk of the convertible. It would be a much smaller area that I would have to seal off as there is only a small opening between the trunk and passenger compartment.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:45 AM

WOlfe Racecraft make's the rear bulkhead that will make a fuel cell in the trunk area nHRA Legal..
Old 09-27-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
WOlfe Racecraft make's the rear bulkhead that will make a fuel cell in the trunk area nHRA Legal..
That looks like a convenient piece, but it wouldn't work in a convertible. I'll probably just fab something up with some sheetmetal.....
Old 09-27-2004, 12:29 PM

I used an RCI 12 gallon fuel cell in my 94Z and put it in the back under the hatch, it's carbed if that makes any difference but I ran my fuel line and vent tube down under the carpet in the bottom of the trunk and mounted my external holley pump under the car. I didn't use any firewall but the local track isn't very strict on NHRA regulations. I didn't want a small cell in the trunk cause I wanted to keep my t-top holders. But that may not be an issue with some people.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM

For those of you doing sports racing, this is what I did.
Removed the orig. fuel tank. Measured from cargo floor to top of tank and from the aft wall of the cargo area to the differential. Allowing enough room for suspension movement. There is enough space here to put in a 30+ gal. fuel cell. For the type of racing I'm doing I needed a large cell. I then cut a hole in the forward cargo wall just large enough to fit the said fuel cell, using both the orginial tank space and the cargo space. To support the cell I built a "NASCAR" style cage out of square tubing. I bolted this cage to the reinforced cargo area sheet metal. I when inclosed the whole thing in aluminum and sealed it to keep water and dust out of the car. On the inside I again used sheet aluminum to inclose the area from the top of the differential hump back to the aft wall and to both sides. This inclosed the entire cargo space and meets the requirement for a sealed tank/fire wall. There are several option for tank filling and access. With all this covered by rug, you can hardly tell it's not susposed to be like this.
This probably sounds like a lot of work, but only took me a couple of weekends, plus running the lines and doing the finish work.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:10 PM

I just went w/ the BMR Fuel tANK. that's sumped.. and i'm done w/ it no muss no fuss and enough fuel flow to feed the hungriest of animal's...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by carbed93Z
I used an RCI 12 gallon fuel cell in my 94Z and put it in the back under the hatch, it's carbed if that makes any difference but I ran my fuel line and vent tube down under the carpet in the bottom of the trunk and mounted my external holley pump under the car. I didn't use any firewall but the local track isn't very strict on NHRA regulations. I didn't want a small cell in the trunk cause I wanted to keep my t-top holders. But that may not be an issue with some people.
Do you get strong fuel odors inside the car? The tech inspection I went through was the guy asking me if I had a blow-down tube on the bottle since its right behind my seat, so I don't think I'll have to worry about nhra regs.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
I just went w/ the BMR Fuel tANK. that's sumped.. and i'm done w/ it no muss no fuss and enough fuel flow to feed the hungriest of animal's...

I'm gonna check that one out as soon as their website is back up and running. I didn't know they made tanks.....
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 AM

They make speed inc's tanks'.. Nice piece..
Old 09-28-2004, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by jeremyferguson
Do you get strong fuel odors inside the car? The tech inspection I went through was the guy asking me if I had a blow-down tube on the bottle since its right behind my seat, so I don't think I'll have to worry about nhra regs.
The fumes aren't really that bad since the vent is run to the outside of the car, but you can still smell fumes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Cell - Ideas?