LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Free Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:43 PM

Free Mods

What are the free mods? Never understood them and would definitely want them to start off my TA mods...

Also, a gutted cat... it makes things flow better for a tad more hp and torque right? Also make it louder?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:53 PM

If you check out the search function at the bottom right of this forum and type in, free mods, you will find what you seek....

Have fun reading, there are a few threads on this subject....
Old 06-05-2004, 03:04 PM

I did a search, most of them just give a list of the mods they have and then go on to say... "Free Mods" I haven't seen the actual list of free mods and all that good stuff. Sorry :-/ Little help please?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:34 PM

No replies? I know i'm being a pain, just want to be ready man!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:59 PM

Free and Cheap Mods include:

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass: Re-route coolant around instead of through TB. Parts: small tube and clamps to connect 2 hoses.

IAT resistor: in place of IAT connector, plug a 4.7 ohm resistor to your IAT connector. 5 resistors for 99 cents at Radio Shack.

Cold Air Intake: a kit can be purchased or you can buy a cone filter and fabricate the tubes yourself

There are alot more that can be done cheaply, but due to lack of time I cant list them all. Check out shoebox's website for how-tos
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM

These are the only ones that will actually be worth doing.

RAM AIR SCOOP

TB Bypass

Cut-out

cut-out is not exactly a freemod, but it preatty cheap.

Last edited by dabez1; 06-16-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:17 AM

Free mods that are wothwile are the TB bypass. The IAT resistor, I'm not sure about, but why wouldn't the factory have saved some money and deleted a sensor instead? Dunno. Whatever you do, don't descreen your MAF. There are zero gains and it throws off the calibration off on a very expensive sensor.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Red96Lt1
Free mods that are wothwile are the TB bypass. The IAT resistor, I'm not sure about, but why wouldn't the factory have saved some money and deleted a sensor instead? Dunno. Whatever you do, don't descreen your MAF. There are zero gains and it throws off the calibration off on a very expensive sensor.
the iat sensor mod doesn't "delete" the iat sensor, it tricks it into thinking it's 57 degrees.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:46 PM

"Cutout"

What exactly are we cutting out?

Whats the MAF?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:27 PM

You get online and buy a piece of pipe(called a cutout) that allows you to cap or un-cap your exhaust. So if you like it loud and stock car-ish you un-cap it. When on a long trip you cap it.
The MAF sensor is the Mass Air Flow sensor. Its a $300 sensor that tells your computer/car how much air is moving through your intake piping so it can squirt the proper amount of fuel.....or something to that affect. If you take your intake piping off you should see a section that is right after your air filter and has a little screen in the middle of it....from what I hear its supposed to do something for you..something along the lines of breaking it.
But then again I am not the person to listen to... I know just enough to break your shtuff...keep that in mind.
-Dan

Last edited by Dan94Z28RO; 06-16-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:58 PM

Hey thanks man... is a cutout worth anything? Can you have a cutout without changing your full exhaust setup?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:00 AM

http://www.dmhperformance.com/photogallery.htm
this is an example of a more expensive cutout. With this you can electronically uncap or cap you cutout. To install one you just cut out a small section of your exhaust ( preferably right after the headers), and replace it with the cutouts. That way exhaust exits right after the header instead of being passed through the catalytic converter and muffler. when you cap it, the cutout is bypassed and the car runs like normal. warning: cutouts are VERY loud, and you are of high risk of getting pulled over for having them!
Old 06-19-2004, 04:26 AM

A cut-out is a great inexpensive mod. Altogether it cost me $50. That was $25 for the cutout (new on ebay), and $25 to have it welded in. The idea is a tuneable exhaust, with the cutout capped, its completely street legal, with it uncapped, its like running open headers (completely free flowing and sooo illegal). You don't have to change your entire exhaust the piece is like 7 inches long and a muffler shop will simply cut out a section of your exhaust and replace it with the cutout. Its a great mod, but not one to run on the street, its soooo freaking loud, but wonderful. I scared off a cobra because it was soo loud, (I told him I had a 572 under the hood). But its great for track use.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:56 AM

LMFAO!! Thats awesome... Maybe i'd get the Electric Cutout, that'd be cool... Then flip the switch every now and then to scare off some ricer homos... L0L :-D I would imagine when its open it frees up some ponies and a few lbs of torque?
Old 06-19-2004, 02:14 PM

If cash is an issue, you canbuy one that is cable operated and can be opened and closed from you dsah or floor. I have only seen a couple of them though.

Quick Reply: Free Mods