LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fans won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 08:12 PM

Fans won't come on

I'm pretty sure its my fans. I'd been having an overheating problem since I bought my 96 Z28 a couple months ago, so this weekend I put in a 180 degree thermostat and it seemed to have fixed the problem. The temperature would just get up to the first mark on the temp gauge while driving, and a little under the half way mark while sitting in traffic with the ac on. When I started the car this afternoon though, the low coolant light came on, so I stopped to check the level. It was full, so I started the engine again an the light stayed off. But on the way home I was stopped in traffic and it started overheating again. I had to blast the heater to keep the it from overheating. But whenever I would start driving again, at say, 35+ mph, the temperature would go back down to the first mark. Sorry for the long explaination, just wanted to cover everything.
Does this sound like the fans not coming on, or maybe a faulty thermostat? If it is the fans, how should I go about fixing it. Would something like the SLP fan switch take care of it? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM

Re: Fans won't come on

You need to do some testing before you just start replacing parts that can get pretty exspensive. First thing i would check is all your fuses and your relays. Then you want to make sure your even getting power to your fans. One way you can check to see if your fans are good at all is to wire them direct to your battery with jumper wires just to see if there coming on at all or if there locked up ive had some luck with just tapping on the fans with a small hammer and they would start working but usually not very reliable. If your not getting power to your fans at all then check all your wiring for any broken wires if that all checks out good more then likely your fan switch is not operating properly and needs replaced. Been awhile since i have replaced one on a LT1 but i think its located right around the waterpump correct me if i am wrong guys. good luck to you and your fans