LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

engine temp.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM

engine temp.

Hey Members,
My transplanted Lt1 always runs between 180 and 190 degrees. My radiator fan kicks in at 185. Car runs really great with a stock exhaust, no
cats. Checks out fine from open loop to closed loop. Should I be running a bit hotter? I heard that it sometimes helps improve gas mileage? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Re: engine temp.

stock T stat is 185

is the PCM programming stock?

your operating temps are fine. If your pcm is controlling the radiator electric fan the on temp sounds about right. It may be on a little lower than stock programming

someone should be able to reply when fan temps are commanded on with stock pcm tuning. The donor car would have had two fans which come on at different temps. If you have a single fan it is likely seeing the primary fan on command from the pcm...

will you see better MPG running a little hotter...maybe 1
Old 03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Stock t'stat is 180°F. Stock fan on temps are 226°F first fan (early 94) or both on low speed (late 94); 235°F second fan on (early 94) or both on high speed (late 94). Popular mod is a 160°F t'stat and reprogram the fan on in the range of 180-195°F.

Lower coolant temp reduces the completeness of combustion, and reduces fuel economy, which increases emissions. I doubt you would notice the change in fuel economy. Easy to test, just reset the fan temps higher. Probably a good idea to run the numbers (miles driven / gallons pumped) for at least 10 tanks or so for each condition. Just the difference in weather conditions will still probably mask any meaningful results.

Power gains w/ 160° t'stat.

Drivetrain Modifications #3
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Stock t'stat is 180°F. Stock fan on temps are 226°F first fan (early 94) or both on low speed (late 94); 235°F second fan on (early 94) or both on high speed (late 94). Popular mod is a 160°F t'stat and reprogram the fan on in the range of 180-195°F.

Lower coolant temp reduces the completeness of combustion, and reduces fuel economy, which increases emissions. I doubt you would notice the change in fuel economy. Easy to test, just reset the fan temps higher. Probably a good idea to run the numbers (miles driven / gallons pumped) for at least 10 tanks or so for each condition. Just the difference in weather conditions will still probably mask any meaningful results.

Power gains w/ 160° t'stat.

Drivetrain Modifications #3
I am currently using the 180° stat and my one fan is controlled by a switch in my lower radiator hose. This is set to come on at 185°. I can try another switch with a higher opening point. Any suggestions? thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Why not just let the stock PCM control the fans? GM designed the engine to run at 210°F, for a decent balance of low emissions and good gas mileage. Oil stays warm enough to boil off harmful condensates. Absolutely no down side to running that way, except for the 5 HP you could gain with lower temps.

Seriously doubt you could measure or notice any difference in fuel economy running a bit warmer. Right now, your 185°F fan on is fighting the t'stat. A 180° t'stat only starts to open at that temp, not fully open until ~200°. You are putting unnecessary wear on the fan, and making the water pump work harder against a partially closed t'stat.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Why not just let the stock PCM control the fans? GM designed the engine to run at 210°F, for a decent balance of low emissions and good gas mileage. Oil stays warm enough to boil off harmful condensates. Absolutely no down side to running that way, except for the 5 HP you could gain with lower temps.

Seriously doubt you could measure or notice any difference in fuel economy running a bit warmer. Right now, your 185°F fan on is fighting the t'stat. A 180° t'stat only starts to open at that temp, not fully open until ~200°. You are putting unnecessary wear on the fan, and making the water pump work harder against a partially closed t'stat.

Thinking about going to a 160 stat so my water pump and fan do not have to work so hard. Any part numbers available for the 160 stat.?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM

RockAuto has a 160 degree thermostat for $8.60 by MOTORAD for the LT1 #307160

Last edited by gaedbo; 03-27-2017 at 09:15 PM.